Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Steam & Excursion > Robert Dollar 2-6-2T

Date: 10/08/19 11:25
Robert Dollar 2-6-2T
Author: jimB

Robert Dollar 2-6-2T #3 was running on the Niles Canyon Railway on Sunday, and met and elderly Chevy Truck at the Sunol, CA (year and make unknown to me).

TO poster JMF1910 suggested Black & White, so here it is. Shooting antique cars with trains seems to be more common in the East than here in the West, but this seemed like a good opportunity. I speculated that the driver of the truck bought it new, but I should be more respectful since I'm no youngster either.

Jim B

Date: 10/08/19 14:59
Re: Robert Dollar 2-6-2T
Author: nycman

That second photo is very close to being the (much overused term) timeless, because of the clothing of the people, lack of identifiable new stuff.  Very nice, thanks.

Date: 10/08/19 15:24
Author: refarkas

The use of black and white makes these seem even more timeless than if color had beem used.
Bob

Date: 10/08/19 21:41
Author: roustabout

Martin mentioned Stan Kistler in an earlier post.  The other sideline of Stan's was audio recording, specifically 'Whistles in the Woods,' which includes Robert Dollar #3 switching the mill at Glendale.  Great to hear and see it running still today!

Date: 10/09/19 12:27
Author: jmf1910

Nicely done, Jim! The B&W come out well, and this was a good opportunity to go for that "old time" scene.

Date: 10/09/19 18:33
Author: JimBaker

Come on Truck Fan's!!
That truck has label on the Radiator tank.
Anybody got a High-Def monitor?

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 10/09/19 20:25
Author: tomstp

Its ah chevy.

Date: 10/10/19 02:37
Author: Evan_Werkema

nycman Wrote:

> That second photo is very close to being the (much
> overused term) timeless, because of the clothing
> of the people, lack of identifiable new stuff. 

Definitely some neat photos, with far and away the best vehicle of the many I've seen blocking that perpetually blocked east-end-of-depot-plus-train shot at Sunol.  I wouldn't say the scene was "timeless," though.  Timeless is supposed to mean "not restricted to any particular time," but the scene with the old truck and people in costume is clearly trying to evoke a particular time.  The photo isn't supposed to look "timeless" so much as it's supposed to look "old," but people don't like to use the word "old" as if it's somehow derogatory or at least not complementary enough.  As a result, a lot of other words end up getting misused in order to avoid saying "old": a "classic" locomotive isn't usually a top rank, best-in-class locomotive but just an old locomotive; a "venerable" locomotive isn't one you pray to but just an old one; a "historic" locomotive is often just an old locomotive with no other notable events or distinctions in its past, etc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds