Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4014 between Modena, Utah and Caliente, NV and the Rainbow Canyon

Date: 10/08/19 13:12
4014 between Modena, Utah and Caliente, NV and the Rainbow Canyon
Author: Krokodil

Last weekend was BigBoy visit closest to home, time to get out and get some photos and videos. I followed the train from Modena Utah to Caliente Nevada on Saturday, and from Caliente to Moapa Nevada on Sunday. Much of the line is inaccessible. The speed of the train was low, so so some time to catch up. The first spot I set up was east(north)east) of Modena, one of the few grades the engine had to climb over the next two days, so I concentrated on video rather than on photographs, hence the picture of an earlier Z-trains has to substitute (picture 1). the line is visible for over ten miles from this point, it took the train twenty minutes to reach this spot. There was also a lot of dust kicked up once the 4014 became visible, apparently there was a six car accident in the ghost "town" of Beryl! Modena was crowded, with several hundreds descending on this half ghost town with less than 50 inhabitants. Good reason to skip over it and leisurely reach the the next photo stop, the Devils Gap near the east end of the Uvada siding. There was sufficient time to climb up on the out cropping. Suddenly I heard my name called, I turned around and recognized my rock hounding buddy Tracy Hasset, he provided a nice left frame on my photograph (picture 2). Another gentleman introduced himself as Jim, he looked vaguely familiar, and indeed it was Jim Wren from Trains magazine, I meet him a couple of years ago at the Bridgeview B&B during a run of the NKP 759 (small world). The line from here becomes quickly inaccessible, so leisurely drive down to Caliente some 45 miles away, where were are some nice photo spots at the east entrance into town. Most were busy, but at least the train had not yet passed. I found a spot not particularly interesting, but at least the crowd would be obscured by the train (picture 3). The train has been coasting down the Meadow wash for quite a while, the sound of the the melancholic soft multi-chime whistle sounds changing  direction over 120 degree for and back, echoing back from the canyon walls, before the engine finally emerged.

Picture 1: West bound east of Modena, Utah
Picture 2: West bound at Devil's Gap, approaching Uvada UT siding
Picture 3: 4014 coasting down the Meadow wash short of Caliente Nevada  

Thomas Eckhardt
Hurricane UT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/19 13:23 by Krokodil.

Date: 10/08/19 13:16
Re: 4014 between Modena, Utah and Caliente, NV and the Rainbow Ca

The next shots are from Caliente, they give an impression of the size of this engine, the last picture shows how big, despite the sleek appearance, the Big Boy really is big! In Caliente I bumped into Dave, another Rock Hound from northern Nevada, did not encounter any members of the St George Model Railroaders however. Incidentally, the only gas station in town was out of gas, bad news for people traveling the 180 miles from Tonopah, with no gas station in between!

pictures 4-6: UP 4014 in Caliente Nevada

Date: 10/08/19 13:22

This covers the line from Caliente Nevada to Moapa Nevada through the rainbow Canyon, the first  shot (picture 7) still on Saturday in Caliente, that's how big a Big Boy is! I loved the "paint job" all black, an engine that meant business, not a painted up girl of leisure! The trip down Rainbow Canyon is just stunning, a little bit early for fall here, the yellow rabbit brush should be blooming next week. I was pleasantly surprise the the perennial "Road Closed" sign had disappeared, indeed the road had even be repaired albeit still some bumpy spots. The canyon is a challenge to photograph in the morning (at least the rainbow section), its decidedly good for afternoon shots, so I went down to some of my favored afternoon places near Boyd. Usually there is enough light bouncing back from the canyon walls to illuminate the shadows. To my surprise, I heard a familiar hello, it was Jim again perching high above the tracks! The engine was coasting slowly down the canyon, what a nice ride on a Sunday morning (picture 8). At Elgin Nevada there was an approach signal, indicating a possible meet, but the train did not stop, so I and quite a few others followed down the now unpaved road, quite an interesting ride with all the dust kicked up and against the sun, but one by one the cars stopped road side, finally after passing under a nice railroad bridge, I was alone, an east (north) bound freight indicated that there was no need to hurry. Indeed the road got very bumpy and without notice we were in the middle of a junk yard, except there were all cut up freight cars, with usable parts like axles neatly stacked, obviously the remnants of a large pile up. As it was in a rather tight curve I assume, the the engineer lost communication with the remote pusher, and while he was braking, the pusher kept on pushing.... I bit further down was a spot I new it was in the sun, but to play it safely, I wanted to take  a picture/movie from the other side of the track, away from the dirt road. No need to have a hoard of dust kicking cars whisking by during the shoot! With my trusted 4Runner I crossed under the track in the Willow creek wash and went a bit upstream. I had even time to climb up a hill to get a nice shot from the top (picture 9). Surprisingly very few cars ventured here, so I got a dust-free picture! At this spot the trac leaves the Rainbow Canyon and runds down the wide Meadow Wash towards Moapa. The public road makes a detour over the mountain and after 40 miles picturesque ride joins the Interstate. In Moapa just video on the departure! I will assemble a movie from my videos and post on YouTube. 

Picture 7: How big is a Big Boy? Caliente NV
Picture 8: 4014 in the Rainbow Canyon, approaching Boyd NV
Picture 9: 4014 leaves the Rainbow Canyon

Thomas Eckhardt
Hurricane Utah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/19 13:27 by Krokodil.

Date: 10/08/19 13:38
Author: jkh2cpu

Nice shots, Krokodil.

John.

Date: 10/08/19 13:40
Author: OldPorter

Thank you Mr. Eckhardt- all superb images. My Fav is #8--  down through Rainbow Canyon.

Great commentary as well- almost like we are there with you. I used to work along these Rails, back in
the days of Amtk's Desert Wind, No. 36 and 35. It was mostly a Night Ride in these areas, but sometimes we
were able to see the Rainbow Canyon on the WB 35;  esp. if it was running a bit late, down to LVS and LAX.

Date: 10/08/19 14:19
Author: robj

Thanks for the Rainbow Canyon shots, been there a lot, wish I could  have gotten out.  #8 is probably one of the best for afternoon, but you did good for morning.  Surpised a bit you could get down to Elgin, but it is slow running through the curves.

Haven't seen too many from Rainbow anywhere but some  more may show up.  Looks like in Caliente they parked it at south end?? 

Pretty hard with other people to judge where to go, can you ever get  ahead to the next shot?

Thanks!
Bob Jordan

Date: 10/08/19 14:49
Author: nomosantafe

Very nice photos !!!!

I'm planning on chasing it next week to Yuma.

Nomosantafe
Portland. Oregon
"Pacific Wonderland"

Date: 10/08/19 14:59
Author: Mgoldman

Nice series - I like number 2, with your buiddy in the frame.  Yup - keep him in the frame!
Looks "real" - be it, a nostalgic photo (albeit, diesel in the consist) or a photo from 2019,
works well both ways.  Adds interest - and fills the frame - well done!

/Mitch

Date: 10/08/19 16:27
Author: Bob3985

I concur with the votes for photo #2.
It has the human factor in it which everyone is out there for anyway.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/08/19 17:13

To my surprise, the perennial sign "road closed" was not there anymore, the road was resurfaced on some stretches, no more deep pothole surprises anymore, but still plenty of bumps! Plus the train was gingerly rolling down, with everybody in the cab enjoying the views.

Thomas

Date: 10/08/19 17:28
Author: jbwest

Enjoyed the pix, the video, and the commentary. Thanks.

JBWX

Date: 10/08/19 18:08
Author: atsf121

I like 8, great series overall. Nice chase!

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/09/19 18:49
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!  I REALLY like the last one!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/19 18:50 by ns1000.

Date: 10/11/19 07:28
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 10/11/19 10:09
Author: kimura

Thomas Eckhardt those are FANtastic photos! 

I especially love
Picture 3: 4014 coasting down the Meadow wash short of Caliente Nevada  
Picture 8: 4014 in the Rainbow Canyon, approaching Boyd NV

I see you are from Utah.
I'm local and it was my joy to chase 4014 from Evanston, WY to Ogden, UT and back during the 150th Golden Spike Anniversary.

Welcome to SoCal!
-Mike

Date: 10/11/19 20:18

Thanks everybody for nice comments and interesting replies!

Thomas Eckhardt

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1037 seconds