Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Steam & Excursion > Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?

Date: 10/09/19 21:52
Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?
Author: RailRat

I have very mixed feelings now about taking the time off work to go battle the traffic and possible delays, to go see and video 4014 passing through Loma Linda on the 15th, is it really worth it?

I have decided San Timeteo Canyon would be a very futile effort, but might have a chance in Loma Linda at one of the road crossings?

This is kind of a Yes or No poll

I have SUNDAY AND MONDAY off anyway, so that means Tues 15th would be a bonus day off, with possible reward of getting video of 4014.

Your opinion is welcome, please help me decide should I Stay ar work, and forget it, watch the videos, or should I go for it, and see the experience?

I will add up the yays vs the nays, thanks for yer input by Saturday I will let my boss know.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/19 21:54 by RailRat.

Date: 10/09/19 22:06
Re: Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?
Author: MojaveBill

Once in a lifetime experience...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 10/09/19 22:16
Author: espee51

I took today off to chase from Dagget to Devore, and I'm glad I did.  There were a lot of us on the road participating in leap-frogging 4014 as it headed west, but it seemed as if everyone was coureous and considerate.  The speed of the train was relatively slow.  I was able to get ahead and take photos in six locations.

Date: 10/09/19 22:33
Author: bearease

I would say, "Yay!"
I was in the Verdemont area today and didn't see any of the "armageddon" that people have been talking about. Having said that, it WAS a weekday, and it WAS a Jewish holiday, so that may have accounted for the lighter traffic.
You have Sunday off, so maybe try heading toward Cajon. Just don't pick the obvious places.
I'm assuming you live near Loma Linda? After taking a quick look at Google Maps, the Mountain View bridge looks like it might be a good spot if that's the route that she'll take. (Can anybody confirm that?)
Heck! I might even take another run out there on Tuesday myself!

Date: 10/10/19 04:44
Author: SeaboardMan

I live in NE Tn, so I can’t go but you can and should. So that’s a yes.

Date: 10/10/19 05:21
Author: dpudave

Come on, Railrat, get out there. Then post another great video to add to your long list of great videos. d

Date: 10/10/19 09:47
Author: wingomann

It's worth going.  Who knows when a UP steam locomotive will be in your area again.  I have found that it's easy to come up with reasons to not go but I have never regretted going and doing a chase - even if it was just seeing the train go by one place.

Date: 10/10/19 10:35
Author: atsf121

A most emphatic YAY! Granted, I’ve seen it four different times this year, and count myself very lucky! But it’s been totally worth it. And to see it on the move is just incredible. Videos just don’t do it enough justice, this is one of those things you just have to see in person. You’ll be kicking yourself if you don’t go. Even my 2 and 3 year olds are still talking about seeing the Big Boy last week.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/10/19 11:10
Author: jkh2cpu

Nice ones :-)

Looking at number two, I am drawn to that exposed chain that works the lubricator. I would not want to be around when it lets go. It will probably tear up that copper piping and then get snagged in the running gear. Let's hope it does not slam into the cab or anyone along the way. Heh. It's its own red-flag area.

John.

Date: 10/10/19 13:56
Author: santafe199

How many excursions do you actually have something to show for, versus ALL those times you said to yourself "I'll come back and shoot it later". I'll give you a hint: let your conscience answer that question...

Posted from Android

Date: 10/10/19 18:48
Author: RailRat

Thank you all,Very good thoughts
You talked me into it!
Better to go and try, than not and cry.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds