Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Steam & Excursion > Has there been any 4014 Photo Run-buys?

Date: 10/09/19 22:05
Has there been any 4014 Photo Run-buys?
Author: RailRat

Just an innocent thought that struck me today.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 10/09/19 22:24
Re: Has there been any 4014 Photo Run-buys?
Author: BoilingMan

I know there will be none this weekend.
SR

Date: 10/10/19 12:11
Author: CPRR

Really think that Ed/UP/BNSF would allow the train to stop, let the passengers off, let them back up the train, and let Ed "pop the clutch", run by, then stop, let the passengers back on, then continue? I don"t think so. Besides, don't think the dismal would like "popping the clutch" either.

Also, the fire brick on this trip is not even getting warm.....

Date: 10/10/19 21:22
Author: jethat

in 1994 when I rode on an excursion pulled by 3985 and the E's from salt lake to vegas they did at least 2 run bys where thy  let people off and drove by. I took pics with my fathers camera but I dont know what happened to his pictures when he died.

Date: 10/11/19 13:32
Author: Kimball

I rode that Saturday too, Ontario- Barstow-Ontario.   Run-bys were at Frost over-under outbound and near Alray tunnels on the return.  The downhill Alray was not as good.  Could not really open her up on the downhill before they had to shut down and stop.  3985 still ended up mostly buried in the tunnel.  She slipped a bit trying to back out.  I think the engineer in the E units was not in as much of a hurry to reverse as was the 3985 crew!
Also rode the 3751 first LA - SD trip, we had at least one runby too.
Makes me a little less disappointed to not ride/chase BB this weekend after hearing no runbys.

Since when did they become so scarce?

Date: 10/11/19 21:57
Author: RailRat

To answer my own question, after thinking about it, photo run-by's for 4014 might be a bit pre-mature for now, because time is being spent on still breaking in 4014, like checking things, and making sure all the points are lubed at scheduled stops and possible un-scheduled stops to check out things again, etc...

After all, I witnessed, and missed several run-by's by 3985 in the 1990's, but that was 10 years after 3985 had been put thru her paces over and over again within that 10 year period, and confidence was very solid, allowing more time for run-by's?

Maybe Ed and UP will allow time for run-by's later on, after 4014 operation confidence is much higher?

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds