Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Steam & Excursion > The rest of the story: Modena, Utah

Date: 10/09/19 23:19
The rest of the story: Modena, Utah
Author: Check_A1E_Perf

After 4014 passed through Modena, UT and the crowd was gone, we decided to head back to the near ghost town to see what else we could find. And find we did. The photo is of Mr and Mrs Lund, the namesake of the building behind him. The hotel once sported several rooms with running water and a cafe. His mother could not manage the place by herself and they walked away from it in the 50s. The hotel is located next to the original BJ Lund store, built in the late 1800s, also still standing. The Lund family home is across the street behind the hotel.

This was perhaps the best experience of the whole day: hearing him tell stories and filling in the blanks where time and weather have taken their toll. Not often do you get this type of peek into the past. Thank you Lund family!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/19 23:19 by Check_A1E_Perf.

Date: 10/09/19 23:27
Re: The rest of the story: Modena, Utah
Author: E25

It would be nice to see any other images from your "walk-around" at Modena.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 10/09/19 23:38

OK, here are a few more...thanks!

1. Water tank at Modena, UT
2. Behind the Lund store. Appears to have been a workshop of some type. There was a V8 in pieces and 2 axles on the ground as well.
3. Looking NW at the Lund & Co Hotel

Date: 10/09/19 23:49

Ok, I guess 4014 deserves a little limelight, too.

1. Leaving Modena, UT
2. Approaching Modena, UT. Looks like I need to clean the lens! Darn spot above the number boards...I tried to ge the sunlight to reflect on the rods and running gear. The burst rate on the Canon Eos Rebel isn't as fast as I'd like but I also wasn't even looking at the LCD screen at the time. I promised myself to take in the scene with my eyes. The sound of 4014's exhaust was the biggest surprise. Besides just being the articulated double chuffs, there is this reverberating low tone that is not like any other "chuff" I've heard. Very throaty and hefty.

Enjoy!

Rob
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 10/10/19 07:24
Author: Bob3985

Great coverage.
I took a photo of that classic Mercantile store back in the early 1990s on one of our trips to Southern California.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/10/19 08:14
Author: callum_out

A few years ago the whole town was for sale, intact.

Out

Date: 10/11/19 00:10

Interesting. There's not much going on there these days... When the iron mine still operated I suppose that was different.

Date: 10/11/19 10:20

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great coverage.
> I took a photo of that classic Mercantile store
> back in the early 1990s on one of our trips to
> Southern California.

Thanks Bob! How different was Modena then?

Date: 10/12/19 06:17
Author: doge_of_pocopson

Love photo 2, spot and all!  B

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds