Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Steam & Excursion > How was access to the area around Sullivan's Curve yesterday?

Date: 10/10/19 11:08
How was access to the area around Sullivan's Curve yesterday?
Author: E25

Given the lack of photos of #4014 in the vicinity of Sullivan's Curve, I got to wondering if the access roads in that area were blocked during the passage of the locomotive?

If so, probably the same scenario for the Saturday and Sunday trips, I suppose.  Too bad.

Here are a couple of examples of the perspectives available from that area.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/19 12:41 by E25.

Date: 10/10/19 11:38
Re: How was access to the area around Sullivan's Curve yesterday?
Author: glibby

I've got the same question, as I hope to go to Sullivan's Curve Saturday morning.

Date: 10/10/19 11:52
Author: Mudrock

Most people avoided it as it would take too long to get out.  Look at Mudrock's pictures below to see how many people were near the Mormon Rocks.

Chris

Date: 10/10/19 12:06
Author: Alco251

I was at Mormon Rocks and as you know, that's one of the ways to access Sullivan's Curve. Looked like a BNSF signal maintainer truck was blocking the road from Highway 138 and a UP signal maintainer appeared to be blocking the public, USFS road along the former SP tracks just past the switch for Canyon siding. Don't know how legal this was in the UP side, as it is not their property and is a marked USFS public road. There were a few UP cops around but no USFS law enforcement. We shall see on Saturday.

Date: 10/10/19 12:28
Author: GRNDMND

We had been at the north end of Canyon siding originally and left as we didn't like the view, crowd, etc. We could have proceeded down the service road around the corner towards the south end but decided against it.  As we left, the UP maintainer was just driving in. Even if you can get back in around to Sullivans along the cutoff, you might want to consider the "dust factor". There were several cars following alongside the train on service roads in the lower reaches of the pass raising clouds of dust. Just say'n...

KC

Date: 10/10/19 13:36
Author: Alco251

Mudrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most people avoided it as it would take too long
> to get out.  Look at Mudrock's pictures below to
> see how many people were near the Mormon Rocks.
>
> Chris

I would argue thst most serious photographers avoided it because the light was terrible that time of day at that particular location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/19 14:05 by Alco251.

Date: 10/10/19 17:40
Author: E25

Well, 'looks like Chris Mohs made it in there and got a dandy shot in perfect light.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/712540/

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 10/10/19 18:50
Author: kurt765

E25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, 'looks like Chris Mohs made it in there and
> got a dandy shot in perfect light.
>
> https://www.railpictures.net/photo/712540/

Looks like the light wasn't terrible to me

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds