Home Open Account Help 196 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4014 this past weekend

Date: 10/14/19 22:41
4014 this past weekend
Author: GreenFlag

Made it out for the weekend for the roundtrip to Barstow/Yermo. Expecting the worse with the expected crowds, but turned out really good. The weather was nearly perfect with the bright sun and dry, clear skies although much colder temps with much more humidity would've been nice to provide some steam in the photos.
First shot at Swarthout Canyon Rd with 100s of people there. Seemed like a long wait. It was entertaining keeping people off that little spot in the foreground who showed up later even though there was a huge photo line where I was at.
Second photo taken at Frost. The biplane was following the train from Cajon Pass to Victorville. Surprisingly, there was no one at all around there even though there were 100s+ at Victorville nearby, but the light wasn't good as expected since the train was running eastbound out of the sun. This was kind of a grab shot as the train was making good time and showed up right away.
Third one near Indian Trail Rd between Helendale and Hodge. Very few people there too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/19 23:05 by GreenFlag.

Date: 10/14/19 22:45
Re: 4014 this past weekend

First photo a "going away" shot near Indian Trail Rd showing the much bigger train this weekend. Notice the two houses built on the hills there.
Second shot shoving into Barstow station with a huge crowd there.
Third photo of the train shoving towards Yermo at West Daggett. Knew the light would be good there.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/19 23:09 by GreenFlag.

Date: 10/14/19 22:46
Author: DRGW5502

Nice shots! I also noticed from the train no one was at Frost. We had fun watching that plane follow us up the hill.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/14/19 22:50

First one here another one of the train shoving towards Daggett/Yermo. The BNSF train on the right is tied down on that siding. There is a military train tied down on the other side. Probably coming or going to Yermo.
In the second photo, an eastbound showed up and blocked the view for a minute or so while the 4014 was backing up.
While the train was spotted in the Old Yard at Yermo, it provided some great opportunities to get some closeup views of the 4014.

Date: 10/14/19 22:55

After the crowds cleared at Yermo, it was easy to get plenty of closeups of the 4014.
Second photo taken right before sunset around 6 or 630 when the light was especially nice. Everyone there were in a great mood.
Third shot taken Sunday at Oro Grande with the cement plant in the background. Another spot with no else there.

Date: 10/14/19 23:00

Last shot taken below Mormon Rocks along Canyon Siding. There were an incredible amount of people near Hwy 138, but with a short drive down the good, dirt road along the "cutoff", there were very few people around.
Great show this past week! Haven't done a chase like that in years and ran into a lot of people haven't seen in a long time.

Date: 10/15/19 00:04
Author: Odyssey

Thank you for sharing the images ...
After seeing the military train in the background
of images 7 & 8 ... can't help but wonder if the
4014 ever pulled military trains with tanks etc destined
for the Pacific Theater in WWII ... with all the "modern"
influence on the 4014's restoration and the importance
of the Promontory celebration ... maybe its real purpose
and actual contribution has been underplayed ...
just ponderin'

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 10/15/19 03:11
Author: LoggerHogger

All very nice images.  You caught quite a varety.

Martin

Date: 10/15/19 04:32
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice work. I like your photo at Morman Rocks.
John

Date: 10/15/19 04:43
Author: ns1000

Great pics!!

Date: 10/15/19 09:21
Author: Fredo

Great photos again Allen. The house farther away I think was the owner of the dairy just below it, Remember the huge hay fire thay had that you could feel the heat on your engines window when you went by?I used to call it the dead cow dairy as they always had dead cows waiting for thier last Renzenberger ride possibly to the Yermo Beanery. I hadn't been by there since I started going to Yuma and the dairy and it's buildings are gone now. I also noticed that all of the roofs along the tracks from Oro Grande to Lenwood that had blue plastic tarps held down by old tires have been repaired. And that he building material of choice in the high desert, used garage doors, has deminished drasticaly. 5 garage doors  and 1 TV antenna would build a fine track side home. By the way Allen my son and I rode in the dome car Challenger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/19 09:23 by Fredo.

Date: 10/15/19 12:07
Author: Alco251

Really great stuff. 

Date: 10/15/19 20:59
Author: PennRailVideos

Beautiful images!

Date: 10/16/19 00:54
Author: dirkb

Absolutely stunning. Great job!

Date: 10/16/19 09:57
Author: mundo

Your "people filter"  did good.

Date: 10/16/19 19:11
Author: santafe199

I really like your telephoto work of the interaction with the BNSF stuff!

Lance/199

Date: 10/16/19 21:05
Author: oyw

Great shots Alan, good seeing you and Gary at Barstow.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0994 seconds