Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 4014 between Casa Grande and Tucson, AZ

Date: 10/24/19 04:52
UP 4014 between Casa Grande and Tucson, AZ
Author: cchan006

The video starts where the 4014 had to make a stop to deal with a trespasser in Casa Grande. I was about to move to another location when the 1955 Chevy showed up. Since the Big Boy operated in revenue service until 1959, I thought having that car in the composition was historically appropriate? Too bad the 4014 didn't accelerate away like I expected.

Next clip has the 4014 "re-departing" Casa Grande. Lots of people showed up, mostly non-railfans. There was a group of spectators from the Arizona Foundation of the Handicapped just across the street. The so-called "mentally deficient" folks were well-behaved and not in the composition because they respected the ROW.

Arizona Dept. of Transportation rearranged the I-10 + Hwy 87 interchange since I last visited the area, so I had to pick another cactus past Picacho, at Wymola for the next clip.

Lots of people were already at the crossing where Picacho Peak can be composed in the background, next clip. Thanks to arizonaBNSF's thread posted few days ago, I did some research and learned about the history of the Battle of Picacho Peak during the Civil War.

I end the video clip with the audio of the hotbox detector at MP 976.8, while on my way to the Tucson Amtrak Depot. This was taken after 4014 had to deal with another trespasser at Rillito, a video clip I posted in another thread.

- UP 4014 at Casa Grande after the trespasser stop.
- Made by ALCo, #69585.
- Video clips as described above.

That's it for the belated, quick report.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/24/19 14:14
Re: UP 4014 between Casa Grande and Tucson, AZ
Author: ClubCar

Love the video.  The only thing that I did not enjoy is seeing that 55 Chevy with the WRONG wheels on it.  These people who restore an old car ruin it when they put those hot rod type wheels on it.  The best looking restored cars are those that look original including the wheels, just like the Big Boy 4014.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 10/24/19 15:50
Author: DocJones

Nice work. so glad that trespasser incident didn't result in 16 flat-spotted drivers. 

Have fun, be safe,

Bruce "Doc" Jones  Sierra Madre CA

Date: 10/24/19 19:29
Author: oyw

Excellent job as usual Charles! Audio is particularly nice!

Date: 10/24/19 20:02
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice pics and video, sucks they got a hotbox though!

Date: 10/24/19 23:19
Author: WaterBoy

Oh dear, both 844 and 4014 catch a lot of hotbox alerts on axle 2.
Looking at both STEAM locomotives, I wonder what it could be. Wonder, wonder???

Date: 10/25/19 00:45
Author: Chico43

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love the video.  The only thing that I did not
> enjoy is seeing that 55 Chevy with the WRONG
> wheels on it.  These people who restore an old
> car ruin it when they put those hot rod type
> wheels on it.  The best looking restored cars are
> those that look original including the wheels,
> just like the Big Boy 4014.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Maybe the car is a "hot rod" and so the owner elected to put "hot rod" wheels on it.

Date: 10/25/19 14:08
Author: gregscholl

Nice video and audio.  I really enjoyed your composition on 3 of the shots-The 55 Chevy, the cactus, and the peak.
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 10/27/19 10:26
Author: Nomad

Interesting video; thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds