Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Steam & Excursion > More pics of UP 4014 visiting SoCal a few weeks ago

Date: 10/31/19 17:31
More pics of UP 4014 visiting SoCal a few weeks ago
Author: oyw

The Big Boy will soon be on the move again after its extended layover in El Paso so I thought now might be a good time to finish up with some remaining photos taken during its trip through Southern California. Starting on Wednesday October 9, I rode along with a couple of friends for the ferry move from Yermo to Colton. Although I previously posted a few shots from this day, I’ve included some different focal lengths as well as a few new angles. Apologies if you see some “dupes” already posted by others.

1) On the move out of Yermo, the 10 car train approaches Daggett shortly after 8:30AM on a very windy morning.

2) A view of the cab as it passes.

3) This UP PO will live in infamy after posing his black steed in front of dozens of waiting fans seconds before the train approached.

Re: More pics of UP 4014 visiting SoCal a few weeks ago

4) Just east of Helendale, a waiting BNSF stack train had barely cleared our view.

5) Finishing up a nice chase, a telephoto view from the I-15 embankment just south of the Keenbrook connector at Devore.  

A couple of weeks earlier, I had received a call from an old customer who liked trains but wasn’t really a railfan, wanting to know if I would be chasing the Big Boy and  if he could ride along with me, why not. So he met me at the house Saturday morning (October 12) and we took off without any specific game plan. Not wanting to get caught up in the crowd at Pepper Ave, we started the morning in San Bernardino just north of Foothill Blvd.

6) By the time the train showed up it was nearly 11AM and to our surprise it was now 23 cars long, but only a few fit into the frame here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/19 17:34 by oyw.

7) Lots of domes and the Cheyenne bringing up the rear.

8) The train made excellent time climbing up the Pass. At 11:34AM, the entire 23 car train can be seen approaching the Silverwood connector where it would enter BNSF trackage for the remaining 56 miles to Barstow.

9) Satisfied with the results, I let my friend chose the rest of the locations. He was intrigued with the with the Mojave River Narrows area at East Victorville so, as he hiked down to the tracks, I grabbed a side view of the train from the highway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/19 17:36 by oyw.

10) As the train wyed at West Barstow, we and at least 100 more people waited on the 1st Ave overpass near the Barstow passenger depot.

11) After unloading, the train begins its reverse move to Yermo. We had a pretty good day so we ended our chase here and headed for home.

On Sunday October 13, it was a solitary chase. I could have started back in Daggett again but had a couple of different shots in mind so I waited until the train was out of Barstow before leaving home.

12) My first planned shot was in the Davis Ranch area west of I-15 but lots of people were already set up so I hiked up a hill in the opposite direction. Other than a couple of guys at the crossing in the distance, there was no one else here. I would have liked the entire train in the shot but you can’t have everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/19 17:40 by oyw.

Date: 10/31/19 17:32

13) From the same spot, the dome on the City of San Francisco appeared well occupied.

14) My other location was a ground level shot between Baseline Ave and Foothill Blvd in San Bernardino. By the time I finally arrived here, I didn’t have much time to spare but was able to climb down the steep embankment for my shot.

15) Looking the other way, my final view was of the complete train.

All in all, it was a very satisfying three days of chasing the 4014. Given the massive crowds, everyone I met was well-behaved and things went well. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get out the following Tuesday when the train went east on the Sunset Route. I know there have been thousands of great shots already posted by others with many more to come. Thanks to all for taking the time to look.

OYW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/19 17:43 by oyw.

Date: 10/31/19 17:53
Author: Copy19

Great shots.  There can't be too many pictures of 4014.

JB -Omaha

Date: 10/31/19 18:27
Author: callum_out

Excellent set, some scenes not previously posted, thanks for posting now
get back to those fine ET44 shots!

Out

Date: 10/31/19 19:58
Author: cchan006

oyw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3) This UP PO will live in infamy after posing his
> black steed in front of dozens of waiting fans
> seconds before the train approached.

I might have forgiven him had he driven a first generation Ford Bronco, even if those were manufactured 7 years after the Big Boy stopped running in revenue service. Oh well.

Thanks for sharing the expertly chosen locations and photos! I particularly like #5 and #12. 

Date: 10/31/19 21:48
Author: miralomarail

Bob, your photo of the 4014 at Barstow was beyond Beautiful, you always manage to find Great photo locations !

Date: 11/01/19 04:28
Author: dougd

WOW   lots of great pictures and locations 
thanks for posting

Date: 11/01/19 07:49
Author: atsf121

Amazing photos, loved the series.  

Date: 11/01/19 12:53
Author: zfan

Wow!  Great pics!

Date: 11/01/19 13:29
Author: ns1000

Great stuff..!!  Thanks for posting.

Date: 11/01/19 14:57
Author: TheNavigator

Nicely done; the Davis Ranch shot is just fine as-is.
GK

Date: 11/01/19 14:58
Author: santafe199

Just plain excellent!! Kudos...

Lance/199

Date: 11/04/19 07:17
Author: PasadenaSub

Outstanding set of photos, Bob.

Rich

Date: 11/04/19 18:11
Author: SP8595

Great series from your home turf, Cajon Pass:}

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0926 seconds