Date: 11/04/19 12:58
Re: Big Horn Roll- By
Author: refarkas

An "A+" image.
Bob

Date: 11/04/19 13:59
Author: callum_out

Lousy color!  Looks like a Friends Charter, last one I was on backed into the wye stem allowing
a similar shot. Really nice composition, great place to spend a little time.

Out

Date: 11/04/19 14:04
Author: BoilingMan

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lousy color!  Looks like a Friends Charter, last
> one I was on backed into the wye stem allowing
> a similar shot. Really nice composition, great
> place to spend a little time.
>
> Out

Yes- darn near monochromatic!
This is indeed the Friends charter last Fall- probably the one you're thinking of.  Our train backed into the wye to let the scheduled WB by- then did a run-by or two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/19 14:48 by BoilingMan.

Date: 11/04/19 14:08
Author: Bob3985

I see my good friend standing on the ground. Nice photo

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/04/19 14:37
Author: gregscholl

Bob3985 Wrote:
> I see my good friend standing on the ground. Nice
> photo

Yep sure looks like Jeff at Big Horn.  Reminds me of a cab ride I got in 2014. Carlos was running and heard a noise.  We stopped at Big Horn to check it out.
A couple of days later they discoverd it had a bad piston ring (this was 489). 
Greg

Date: 11/04/19 16:31
Author: ns1000

NIICE..!!

Date: 11/05/19 03:07
Author: railscenes

Great b&w photo! This is a digital image, right? If so this digital age has the potential to elevate us all at the skills of Jack Delano or O. Winston Link. I might even try b&w?
Thanks for sharing, Steve Rippeteau

Date: 11/05/19 06:34
Author: mp51w

That image is very pleasing to the eyes!

Date: 11/05/19 07:11

railscenes Wrote:
> Great b&w photo! This is a digital image, right?
> If so this digital age has the potential to
> elevate us all at the skills of Jack Delano or O.
> Winston Link. I might even try b&w?
> Thanks for sharing, Steve Rippeteau

Yes, all of these C&T photos I’ve been posting over the last few days are B&W versions of color images I ran last year after a week in Chama.
They are all digital (Canon 5D III).
The great thing about digital B&W is that so many of the tools we used in the traditional darkroom to get the best out of negative (filters, etc) are still available- it’s not just a matter of “clicking” B&W.
SR

Date: 11/05/19 07:13

mp51w Wrote:
> That image is very pleasing to the eyes!

Thank you, gentle reader. (viewer?)
SR

Date: 11/05/19 10:23
Author: GBW309

Now THAT is a photograph.

Dave

Date: 11/05/19 11:05

So do you use Photoshop or similar program? Of course brilliant sun light in the initial photo helps get the process off to a good start as well as your composition and exposure settings. One thing that I always noticed in shooting in the mountains was even with the bright sun lit scenes, the dark evergreens seemed to suck the light up and make the photo darker than our eyes see it. There was not enough haze in the atmosphere to disperse the bright sunlight. Yet your photo has lighter tint on the trees and the black on the loco does not obscure the details. It has an Ansel Adams print quality. Have you tried printing this on high quality photo paper? That would be the “acid test”. And that is where the old pros could really make a difference with b&w in the darkroom. Thanks, Steve Rippeteau

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/05/19 11:23

I use Lightroom (Photoshop makes my head hurt). The really interesting thing about changing color to B&W is that Lightroom still recognizes the individual colors in the original photos even after you’ve made the conversion. Therefore you can lighten and darken blues, greens, etc as though you where using filters for those colors with film or negatives- only FAR more convenient and flexible.
SR

I no longer have easy access to a real darkroom so I haven’t printed my photos on paper in years.

Date: 11/05/19 19:13
Author: Atsf814

Wow!  That is image of the year!!.

Thanks for sharing!

Date: 11/06/19 03:05

Thanks for the additional info on Lightroom. I’d like to buy a CD with Lightroom. Is that possible?
Also on that same note I have a small collection of b&w 616 negatives I purchased from Paul Stringham and others many years ago. I can use the glass plate film holder in the Epson 8x10 film scanner to make decent digital scans of the odd sized negs.
I have noticed a slight increase in quality when the b&w negatives are scanned in color. Then converted to b&w in Photoshop. Not as good as your work but better that trying to improve from a b&w film negative scanned as b&w.
Steve Rippeteau

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/06/19 07:28

The earlier versions of Lightroom were on CD's, but now it's sold as a monthly subscription.  I am still using Lightroom 5.something.  I think it was the last stand alone version.  I suppose the subscription version has all sorts of upgrades, and I should probably take a look to see what I'm missing out on, but my older version is quite intuitive and makes sense to me- in fact, I continue to get better at using it. 
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds