Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Steam & Excursion > Big Boy heading East out of California

Date: 11/04/19 14:31
Big Boy heading East out of California
Author: erielackawanna

My second "chase" day of UP 4014 was its ferry move out of California along the ex SP Sunset Route. My original plan (as advised by Z-Trains) was to catch it west of Ordway and then backtrack to the freeway to beat it to somewhere in Beaumont or Banning east of its stop. I would then, based on the light decide how far east I would go, but felt comfortable with Beaumont as my last shot (outside of San Timeteo, so much of that run is just 3/4 wedgie at grade crossings). I also planned to fill up my car the night before. 

My plan went to hell. I didn't fill up the car and got a late start so I couldn't fill it up that morning. As I reached West Colton Yard I saw I had at best another 40 miles left in my tank. I adjusted my plan to be absolutely just two shots, one west of Ordway and one east of Beaumont. But as I neared Pepper I saw the crowd there and thought, "you know I can get that shot and beat it to west of Ordway." Exited at Pepper and parked almost at the freeway on ramp. Got to talk with a couple of the more talented you rail photographers there, got my shot, and got my car on the freeway first of everyone leaving Pepper. Luck was on my side. I got to the mouth of San Timeteo Canyon about two minutes before the train arrived.

Now, thinking lady luck was with me, I decided even with no gasoline left, I had enough fumes that I would drive into San Timeteo through the new developments and get a shot from the bridge in Beaumont, and then beat the train east of Beaumont getting two more shots. As I approached the bridge I saw way too few railfans along the track, and many of them had their cameras facing the wrong way. Damn, it had passed there already. BUT WORSE. The stop sign by the bridge and the next one by the freeway took about 30 minutes to get through the traffic. Once on the freeway finally, I passed the train only to have it pass me two minutes later whe I ran into a jammed freeway and I was almost out of gas. I got off, filled up, and went home. Still happy with the tiny bit I got.

First two images are from Pepper.

Date: 11/04/19 14:33
Re: Big Boy heading East out of California
Author: erielackawanna

Next two shots are at the mouth of the San Timeteo Canyon.

From there it all fell apart.

Date: 11/04/19 16:31
Author: ns1000

Pic 3 is my favorite!!

Date: 11/04/19 23:47
Author: cchan006

erielackawanna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Next two shots are at the mouth of the San Timeteo
> Canyon.
>
> From there it all fell apart.

Glad you're the one who composed the 4014 with those Redlands palm trees! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0303 seconds