Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Steam & Excursion > R&N 425 steaming in the rain

Date: 11/04/19 18:07
R&N 425 steaming in the rain
Author: OCtrainguy

On Sunday, October 20th, my son and I made the trip up to Jim Thorpe.  He was home that weekend for a concert and wanted to join me to see the 425 (he really likes that engine) and for a probable last hurrah for him with the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway trains out of Jim Thorpe.  In checking the weather the day before, I saw low 50s and sun to clouds.  Well, we got hoodwinked on the weather.  As soon as we crossed the Delaware River into PA the rain started,  It was raining all day and the temperature got to 47 degrees.  Just a cold and rainy day.  Needless to say, we didn't cover as much ground as we would've liked and just stayed around the station area.  Okay, onto the photos.

1 - R&N 425 arriving with the station in the background 
2.  A closer look at the 425
3.  The dome car

More to follow.. 

Date: 11/04/19 18:10
Re: R&N 425 steaming in the rain

Continuing the photos..

4.  The steam engine heading to the turntable, passing a Hometown High Bridge train, which had a pair of recently painted GP38-2s
5.  Despite the weather, the engine still draws a crowd
6.  The steam engine waiting to reverse to the train

A few more to follow.. 

Date: 11/04/19 18:14

Continuing the photos..

7.  Reversing to the train
8.  Starting to pull out of Jim Thorpe station
9.  One more look at the engine

Videos of the train arriving and departing to follow.. 

Date: 11/04/19 18:19
Author: gregscholl

Next to last is my favorite, with the last being runner-up.  Nice talking engine even though it is that horrible blue.  A friend of mine rode the cab on this rainy day that you shot.  He rode both ways!!!  He chased the day before when it was sunny.
Wonder if they will run diesels when 2102 is running?
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 11/04/19 18:29

The first video is of the 425 arriving in Jim Thorpe.  

The second video is of thr 425 leaving.

Last but not least is the foliage in the lower Lehigh Gorge State Park.  Not sure if it was just the dreary weather, but the leaves didn't really pop out in many spots.  Hope you enjoy! 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/04/19 19:19
Author: EMD2024

gregscholl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Next to last is my favorite, with the last being
> runner-up.  Nice talking engine even though it is
> that horrible blue.  A friend of mine rode the
> cab on this rainy day that you shot.  He rode
> both ways!!!  He chased the day before when it
> was sunny.
> Wonder if they will run diesels when 2102 is
> running?
> Greg Scholl
> http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Greg, you'd have loved her in her original Gulf Mobile & Northern maroon paint job.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/04/19 21:29
Author: Earlk

The diesel is there because they need it.  425 does all the work it can possibly do - and then some.  The diesel will bring the train to track speed when 425 simply has no more left in her.  I have recordings of 425 down on her hands and knees topping Hometown Hill with the diesel still in idle.  In that case the diesel wasn't a "helper", it was "stall protection".  

They have done some trips without the diesel helper.  They shorten the train up and leave the aux. water car behind.  I chased one of those trips, 425 didn't work as hard as it did with the full train, water car and and SD50 behind her!

Date: 11/05/19 04:04
Author: PlyWoody

On the R&N, you never know where you will find a patch of leaves on the track and rail head,  Wheels grind up leaves to carbon-black and with a little water, that oil will match whale's sperm oil so the extra power wheels of the diesel is surely necessary.  The commuter railroads in the NE use rail washing equipment to help their train's ability to stop at stations.  R&N does not have those items to wash the rail head.

Date: 11/05/19 04:49
Author: ns1000

I like Pics 7-9...

It happens to me all the time.....rain when I make plans to take pics of trains.  It adds mood to the pics...

Date: 11/05/19 19:26
Author: NKP779

Beautiful locomotive and scenery..........haven't been back since the NKP 765 and 425 exchanged whistle salutes in Jim Thorpe in 2015.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds