Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Steam & Excursion > I took my grandson to Spencer to see N&W 611 a couple weeks ago

Date: 11/15/19 21:34
I took my grandson to Spencer to see N&W 611 a couple weeks ago
Author: randyr

Folks:

My oldest grandson is nine and lives in Louisville, KY. I live in a suburb of Phoenix, so I don't see him enough to nurture the train gene in him. Lately he has strayed from the truer path thanks to sports (he loves baseball and soccer), video games, Pokemon and school. Grandma and I went to visit in September and I took him up to see NKP 765 on the Cuyahoga Valley. His faith quickly strengthened as we encountered it Saturday evening. And chased and rode it on Sunday.

When I saw that N&W 611 was coming to Spencer, I checked the calendar, soccer was over and school was out for a couple days due to the Elections. Over the weekend we rode in the caboose three times and the museum train a couple times. And we were able to watch them move three diesels on and off the turntable.

First pic, he is in the caboose ready to go, second pic, great to watch the 611 up close with him, but at a safe distance, third pic, watching them turn the ACL unit. Which I recall seeing at Denver Union Station for years in the 1970's.

Thanks to the North Carolina Transportation Museum and the 611 crew. Between runs he wanted to see all the exhibits and asked train questions all day long. One of our best trips yet. Any thanks to the NKP 765 team and the Cuyahoga Valley for help to get our redemption tour started. And while I complain about flying for work, thanks to Southwest Airlines for a great Rapid Rewards program.

Randy in PHX

Date: 11/16/19 05:52
Re: I took my grandson to Spencer to see N&W 611 a couple weeks a
Author: jkh2cpu

That's proper care of a grandson!

John.

Date: 11/16/19 06:30
Author: co614

Thanks Randy. We need all the youngsters we can get to pass the torch to. My only grandson despite my best efforts to steer him to steam, decided the NASCAR and girls were where his passions were. I tried but failed !!!  

Ross Rowland 

Date: 11/16/19 09:48
Author: patd3985

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Randy. We need all the youngsters we can
> get to pass the torch to. My only grandson despite
> my best efforts to steer him to steam, decided the
> NASCAR and girls were where his passions were. I
> tried but failed !!!  
>
>    Ross Rowland 

Well Ross,.. You know what they say!.. "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead!"

Date: 11/16/19 11:46
Author: callum_out

I've never heard that before, knew I was doing something wrong.

Out

Date: 11/16/19 17:16
Author: ns1000

Excellent....

Date: 11/16/19 19:51
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice pics, some have it, some don't, my neice when she was a kid kinda was interested and tried back in 99 to have her tag along with my dad and baby brother when 3751 was heading to Raifair, my dad told me this and that and I'm like, 'GREAT!' so that didn't come to furition and he knows I'm the die hard and don't know if anyone will have my passion for trains within the family that is!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds