Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cumbres and Toltec ...Triple Stack Talk ...bonus

Date: 11/16/19 14:53
Cumbres and Toltec ...Triple Stack Talk ...bonus
Author: bakersfielddave

had to post this one as a bonus video

before and after they split the Locomotives for the bridge not far out from Chama

on the Sunday night  i drove over  to Durango to ride the D&S the next day.... that is another story for later this week

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/16/19 15:23
Re: Cumbres and Toltec ...Triple Stack Talk ...bonus
Author: LarryDoyle

LOVE the call out at 2:25 for Flagman Protect Rear of Train, and acknowledgements from both helpers.

These guys really do it right!!!!!

-LD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/19 15:27 by LarryDoyle.

Date: 11/16/19 17:56
Author: Mudrock

Very nice filming by you! You made a great film!

Chris

Date: 11/17/19 06:35
Author: Frisco1522

LarryDoyle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOVE the call out at 2:25 for Flagman Protect Rear
> of Train, and acknowledgements from both helpers.
>
> These guys really do it right!!!!!
>
> -LD
I'm not sure I understand how they use that signal.  That's calling out the flag, but I've always heard it on other RRs after the stop.   I've heard it on several videos on C&TS while they are running along.    Maybe someone familiar with their operation can fill us in.

Date: 11/17/19 10:42
Author: UP951West

That was a delightful sight and sound . I'd like to have been on board.  Thanks for sharing. 

Date: 11/17/19 15:41
Author: LarryDoyle

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> LarryDoyle Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > LOVE the call out at 2:25 for Flagman Protect
> Rear
> > of Train, and acknowledgements from both
> helpers.
> >
> > These guys really do it right!!!!!
> >
> > -LD
> I'm not sure I understand how they use that
> signal.  That's calling out the flag, but I've
> always heard it on other RRs after the stop.  
> I've heard it on several videos on C&TS while they
> are running along.    Maybe someone familiar
> with their operation can fill us in.

I think it depends upon (a) local habits, (b) what rear end protection you've got besides the flagman, and (c) where you are in time and space.

1)  Rule 251 territory.  Blow the whistle signal ( _... ) upon stopping, in which case drawbar flagging* is permitted on the part of the flagman.  (You might have to think about this one for awhile.  If nobody figures it out in the next 24 hours, I'll explain it.)  (BTW, this does not apply on C&TS as it is not Rule 251 territory, so whistle signal was given before the stop.)

* Drawbar flagging = flagging without taking a  long walk.

2)  Dark territory (C&TS is dark).  Strictly speaking in TT&TO, an engineer would blow to call out the flagman, who is required to walk back the required distance (up to a mile or more, depending on track speed limit) and place two torpedoes and a 10 minute red fusee, then return 1/2 the required distance and remain until recalled or picked up by a following train.  From a practical standpoint, unless the engineer really hated the flagman, if possible the engineer would reduce speed to about 4 mph ASAP to allow the flagman to drop off, for a shorter walk.

Torpedoes no longer exist, do they?  Do fusees?

3)  Today.  I suspect this is the reality of the present video.  The leading engineer is simply reminding the other engineers that they are about to stop at Lobato, and they are acknowledging.

-LD

Date: 11/17/19 20:33
Author: wko

I shot roughly 95 minutes of video that day, and I've watched it probably 4 times in the month that's passed, this was a superb runby!

LarryDoyle Wrote:
>
> 3)  Today.  I suspect this is the reality of the
> present video.  The leading engineer is simply
> reminding the other engineers that they are about
> to stop at Lobato, and they are acknowledging.
>

I believe this is the closest answer, but then again I don't know what Rule 251 is. When I rode it fall 2018 the on-board Friends docent said when they pass a "S" station whistlepost marker (X is for crossing, W is for long-short generic whistle for bridges, tunnels, etc., S is for station), a long and 2 shorts means they're highballing, while a long and 3 shorts means they're stopping. If he said why they do it this way, I'm sorry to say I missed it.
~wko

Date: 11/18/19 07:30
Author: ns1000

Nice video!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds