Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Steam & Excursion > Durango and Silverton working hard

Date: 11/18/19 18:25
Durango and Silverton working hard
Author: bakersfielddave

with regulator wide open seen from  the grade crossing a mile or so south of Rockwood, the date was Tuesday October 22nd

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/19/19 05:56
Re: Durango and Silverton working hard
Author: livesteamer

Truly spectacular VOTD candidate!

Posted from Android

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 11/19/19 07:20
Author: g-spotter1

That is an awesome video that captures what mountain steam railroading is all about.  You provided one of the most important elements for an epic moment:  The full approach and retreat of the sound.   It put me right therenext to you. Thanks!

Date: 11/19/19 07:29
Author: Frisco1522

That is an excellent video!  Great sound and a square engine.   I like the whistle, wonder what it came off of?
Thank you for sharing it.

Date: 11/19/19 15:55
Author: nycman

Dave, you sure have been enjoying steam experiences that all of us would love to have been witness to, and thank you for allowing us to share those experiences.

Date: 11/19/19 16:17
Author: HotWater

bakersfielddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> with regulator wide open seen from  the grade
> crossing a mile or so south of Rockwood, the date
> was Tuesday October 22nd

Really excellent video, with spectacular sound!

I am curious about your use of the term "regulator wide open", which is generally a British/European term for the throttle, as we refer to it here in the U.S.. Thus, are you from England?

Date: 11/20/19 12:40
Author: coach

Really great video, and GREAT sound!  And fantastic to see so many of the cars full of passengers--I really want to go ride this line--gotta do it.

Question:  how does this line "tamp" their tracks to keep the rails level?  Do they have a narrow guage tamper / regulator, or is it done by hand??  Watching the telephoto parts of the video, you can see the track is a bit bouncy / wobbly.

Date: 11/20/19 14:20
Author: Cumbresfan

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really great video, and GREAT sound!  And
> fantastic to see so many of the cars full of
> passengers--I really want to go ride this
> line--gotta do it.
>
> Question:  how does this line "tamp" their tracks
> to keep the rails level?  Do they have a narrow
> guage tamper / regulator, or is it done by hand??
>  Watching the telephoto parts of the video, you
> can see the track is a bit bouncy / wobbly.

I can't answer your question as to MOW practices, but some of what you see in the video may be the long view of the telephoto lens. However having ridden both within the past two years, the Cumbres and Toltec is a lot smoother. Some of the reason is that they have had a multi-year capital improvement program to replace ties and place ballast*. The difference is that the C&TS is funded with money from the states of Colorado and New Mexico and privately owned D&S has to do it all on their own.

(*Summary from 11/2/19 Commission meeting:
MOW goes well. They have installed about 4,000 ties, 1,500 more to go this year. That will complete the tie replacement portion of the track upgrade program. Ballast still has a couple of years to complete. It is expected the track program will be complete by FY 2023. http://train.sbseiber.com/CTM2019Nov02.html )

Date: 11/22/19 19:24
Author: burlingtonjohn

This at the Shalona crossing (MP 468.1). Great video, love the D&S!!!

Regards,
Burlington John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds