Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Steam & Excursion > Bob Lorenz

Date: 11/19/19 11:59
Bob Lorenz
Author: co614

It is with sadness that I deliver the message that noted railroad artist and my good friend Bob Lorenz of Fremont,Ohio passed away peacefully in his sleep last evening. 

Bob was a largely unheralded railroad illustrator who for my money did some of the finest railroad drawings ever. He kindly did all the creative graphics for the Golden Spike Centennial Limited, American Freedom Train, Iron Horse Enterprises ( C&O 614), AFT 2.0 amongst many other projects and was a noted NKP historian. 

He was also a total gentleman and devoted steam lover. He is survived by widow Bea, 2 married daughters and 7 grand children. 

R.I.P     Ross Rowland 

Date: 11/19/19 14:18
Re: Bob Lorenz
Author: E25

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Here's a link to a nicely written remembrance for him...

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thenews-messenger/obituary.aspx?n=robert-h-lorenz-bob&pid=194490097&fhid=16376

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/19 20:21 by E25.

Date: 11/19/19 15:38
Author: wabash2800

I'll miss him. He was always happy to talk on the phone if not in person. I purchased a number of his photos over the years and used them in publications and presentations with his permission. And he was delighted to get a free publication in exchange. I understand he donated much of his material to the Nickel Plate Historical and Technical Society, with much more than the NKP covered. I miss the days he would set up at the Toledo Train Show and sell a number of his photos and still have his business card with his artwork on it.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/19 18:45 by wabash2800.

Date: 11/19/19 15:41
Author: nycman

Ross, sorry to hear of the loss of Bob.  The obituary link was very nice.  None of us are getting younger.

Date: 11/19/19 20:00
Author: SamRae

Bob was a most talented artist, and a stalwart member of the Mad River and NKP Museum.    Earlier today the Museum  posted to their Facebook page a photo of Bob and his wife Bea,
in front of the NKP 757 at the Museum.  Bob, at 94 was still painting.and shortly after the arrival of the 757 at the Museum, had painted the locomotive in service, and donated it to the Museum, to be used as a fund-raiser for their "Bring Back the 757 Campaign." The link below shows Bob and Bea, a couple of months ago, in September  at the Museum. .  Bob and Bea were always most gracious to my wife and I, when our paths crossed.  I have a number of his prints, signed by the artist, and one original pastel of the 759 at speed, at night.  He will be missed by his many friends and admirers around Northern Ohio, as well as by those in a greater circle, who knew him, or his work on the Golden Spike Train, the American Freedom Train and the Chessie Steam Special.  Rest in Peace, Bob.

https://www.facebook.com/madrivernkpmuseum/photos/a.825468200810131/2836966269660304/?type=3&theater

Date: 11/19/19 20:18
Author: NKP779

Bob Lorenz was the only person I ever met who could recall the arrival of the NYC streamlined MERCURY in 1936. He was fascinated by the lights that illuminated the drivers at night! A fine gentleman, excellent railroad artist and photographer, and railroad historian.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/20/19 00:54
Author: ClubCar

Thanks Ross for letting all of us know about Bob.  I too remember him from the days of you operating both the Reading 2101 and the C&O 614.  May his soul rest in peace.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 11/20/19 05:29
Author: utwazoo

A long life very well lived.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0664 seconds