Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Steam & Excursion > Burlington John aboard the World's Fair Daylight

Date: 11/19/19 19:23
Burlington John aboard the World's Fair Daylight
Author: burlingtonjohn

Aboard the World's Fair Daylight after arrival at LA Union Station, 17 Jun 84. I was invited into the cab by the late Dick Yager, 4449's fireman as I had something on identifying me as a crewman onboard the Battleship New Jersey. Dick said 'hey kid, this old hoghead next to me was in the Navy. You wanna ride when when we turn the train?'Ya think?Had a great time visiting with both gentlemen and an even better time riding in the cab, my first of several cab rides on 4449. After we backed the train into Union Station, Dick asked me if I wanted a picture in Doyle's seat.Ya think?Even though I am a die-hard CB&Q fan, 4449 is without a doubt my favorite steam engine, hands down.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 11/19/19 19:30
Re: Burlington John aboard the World's Fair Daylight
Author: cozephyr

Wonderful opportunity for you-thanks for sharing.  Noticed the EMD coffee cup in SP 4449's cab.

Date: 11/19/19 19:38

cozephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonderful opportunity for you-thanks for sharing.
>  Noticed the EMD coffee cup in SP 4449's cab.

Surprised me that it wasn't a Pepsi can!

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 11/19/19 20:09
Author: NKP779

The mere mention of the battleship NEW JERSEY always sent Dick Yager into orbit, even in his Fort Wayne days. It is no surprise that Burlington John got a cab ride out of that!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/20/19 05:05
Author: HotWater

burlingtonjohn Wrote:
> cozephyr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wonderful opportunity for you-thanks for
> sharing.
> >  Noticed the EMD coffee cup in SP 4449's cab.
>
> Surprised me that it wasn't a Pepsi can!
>
> Regards,
> Burlington John

Doyle generally didn't/doesn't like to drink Pepsi directly from the can. Thus, he would scoop ice from the cooler with that EMD cup, and pour the Pepsi into the cup full of ice.

Date: 11/20/19 06:16
Author: Bob3985

And I suspect I know where the EMD cup came from, huh Jack? Haha
John don't be apologetic about being a Burlington man. Everyone whoim I had up in the 3985/844 cab were converted as you were with 4449.
Besides as we use the way back machine I recall all the Burlington steam rambles in the Chicago area.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/20/19 14:03
Author: nycman

You sure look young in that pic, John.  Oh, 1984?  I guess you were.

Date: 11/20/19 17:39

nycman Wrote:
> You sure look young in that pic, John.  Oh,
> 1984?  I guess you were.

I was at the ripe old age of 21!

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 11/20/19 17:56

NKP779 Wrote:
> The mere mention of the battleship NEW JERSEY
> always sent Dick Yager into orbit, even in his
> Fort Wayne days. It is no surprise that
> Burlington John got a cab ride out of that!

Funny story about battleships and railfanning.  A couple of years ago, I purchased a cab ride on Durango & Silverton #473.  The Engineer Bill and Fireman Chase made the trip awesome.  Bill asked me what I did for a living and I told him I was retired from the Navy. He then asked me what ships I served on. Amongst others, I mentioned the battleships New Jersey and Missouri. THAT got his attention. He peppered me with questions and we had a great time talking about our shared interest in pacific naval operations in WWII, all while he was running the locomotive and not missing a beat.

We returned to Durango and I expressed my appreciation to them both for allowing me to intrude on their office and that I had a great time.  Bill said he owed me an apology … I couldn’t imagine why. He apologized for talking more about battleships and naval battles than steam engines! I did not mind in the least!!!

Regards
Burlington John

Date: 11/20/19 19:13
Author: hawkinsun

Well I've got a little in common with you guys.  I got to go in the cabs of Burlington 5632, and 4960,and also watched many of the Rambles out of Chicago. Also got to viisit the cab of 4449, at Sandpoint ,Idaho.  While serving in the Army in DaNang, Vietnam,  I had the New Jersey shooting over me, to targets 20 something miles inland.  I'll never forget any of those events.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 11/20/19 19:38
Author: nycman

John, I just used the last of my Battleship Missouri postage stamps.  Bought them along with those that celebrated the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0864 seconds