Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Steam & Excursion > Big Boy on the Big Prairie

Date: 11/20/19 14:03
Big Boy on the Big Prairie
Author: lilwes

I shot UP 4014 yesterday and today using my 4x5 view camera. Not bad for an old guy trying a new trick if I do say so myself.  I am using a Sinar F and Ilford Delta 100 film.  It has been great fun shooting photo's the "Old School" way.  You can't imagine the looks I got from all the folks using DSLR and phones to take their pictures.
Photo #1 was taken at Williamstown, KS. and #2 was taken west of Rossville, KS.
Thanks for looking, Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 11/20/19 14:22
Re: Big Boy on the Big Prairie
Author: MaryMcPherson

Nice!  Complimentary technologies!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 11/20/19 16:03
Author: apollo17

One thing I can tell you lilwes is myself....I like to always be different from the rest of a crowd and shooting the pics you did with that camera was a good way to do it!

GREAT PICS!  

Date: 11/20/19 17:53
Author: SCKP187

Wow, really like the looks of #1
Brian Stevens

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/20/19 18:37
Author: rrman6

Wow Wes, you really nailed it with these great shots in Great Kanza, especially the latter one looking down from the elevation.  
Not that I'd wish such from future onlookers in another 75 years and somebody uncovers your photo, will they wonder what the accident was here with the stopped vehicles and people standing at the scene?!!  
I'd hope not such, especially with the 4014's steam and exhaust displaying movement.  
Thanks for these wonderful scenes and hoping to view more as she proceeds to the CO/KS stateline on her way to Cheyenne.

Date: 11/20/19 19:31
Author: bmarti7

Wowee! I didn't know there was hill that tall in the Kaw Valley.
 Thanks for this special perspective.

BB

Date: 11/20/19 22:03
Author: robj

Congrats on using th 4 x 5.  Somethng I aways wanted to do but ...

Bob

Date: 11/21/19 05:53
Author: twjurgens

Nice pics Wes!

Date: 11/21/19 06:19
Author: PlyWoody

What you captured was very nice with the very natural perspective you can only get from a very long focus length lens. The image is much closer to the way your brain see a image with your eyes.  Perspective is when you see where the photographer is standing from the image. The angles of building develop the lines of image. If the focus point is way behind the photographer, that is telephoto image an enlarged. If it looks in front, it is wide angle and unnatural, but if your eyes see the focus point to be where you are that is a normal lens and matches what your eyes see. It is much more pleasant to view that kind of image.  For example W. Henry Jackson took his western photo with a giant camera with a very long focus length lens and his photo make you feel like you are standing right there in front of his prints of his photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds