Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Steam & Excursion > Chasing the Big Boy through Kansas

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/04/19 15:13
Chasing the Big Boy through Kansas
Author: SP8595

I am WAY behind in posting these pictures so I apologize for the late subject matter but thought that I would share my shots taken on Friday, November 22nd of the Big Boy on its run from Hays, KS to Sharon Springs, KS.  I had seen the Big Boy running across Wyoming earlier this year back in May and while it is very impressive, the lack of Steam and Smoke on the day that I followed it made the pictures rather lackluster to say the least. However after seeing the many pictures and videos posted of the Big Boy down in Texas in cooler weather with copious amounts of Steam, I thought that I should give the Big Boy one more chance:} I also wanted my Dad to witness the Big Boy since he did not get a chance to see it while it was out in California. So on Nov. 21st, I picked my Dad up at the airport in Denver and we drove straight out to Hays to start the chase from there the next morning.  I knew that we would be fighting bad Sun conditions with the train running Westbound early in the mornings but figured if the temperatures were low enough, some Steam would make up for the back-lit conditions. Watching the weather forecast for Hays on the days leading up to that Friday, it went from sunny to overcast.
Well cloudy conditions would work but on the 21st, it was even calling for a chance of snow! When we woke on up the morning of the 22nd, it was cloudy but no moisture was falling. Soon after however, a very wet snow started to fall and then it starting sticking! We were totally blown away to see what would happen in the next hour before the Big Boy departed town!

1 and 2) In one of the most impressive displays that I have ever witnessed, the Big Boy departs out of Hays! I wasn’t sure if I should take pictures, shoot video, or just watch the incredible scene taking place! 
After leaving Hays, the train was traveling along very slowly and even though a lady with a child holding an I-Pad out the window was pacing the train for miles and holding up traffic, it was still possible to get ahead of the train.
It soon came apparent however that with a stiff wind blowing out of the North, the Steam was covering most of the train on the South side and pictures taken from the North side seemed to turn out very dark and it was hard to block out the vehicle traffic out on the road.
Looks like this was going to be tougher than I thought! 

3) 4014 approaching Ellis. 

------------------Six More Pictures Posted Below-----------------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/19 17:38 by SP8595.

Re: Chasing the Big Boy through Kansas

4) Departing out of Ellis. My Dad got a much better picture taken from the North side of the tracks with the smoke drifting over the ballpark that is on the South side. Guess I should have known that Father knows best:}

5) A grab shot just West of Wakeeney.

6) Near Collyer, KS.

------------Three More Pictures Posted Below-------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/19 15:17 by SP8595.

7) It was Very Cool to see all of the school children that were brought trackside to witness the Big Boy passing through the small towns located along the KP line in Western Kansas! Here the Big Boy departs out of Quinter after a short service stop with the school buses from the local schools in the area seen in the background.

8) My Dad and I decided that pictures were secondary on this day and chose just to watch the Big Boy departing towns along the way where it made a stop, just to witness this Awesome machine in motion! Here it is seen departing Oakley.

9) From the Highway 40 overpass at Wallace, just short of the end of this day at Sharon Springs.

It turned out to be one of the best days that my Dad and I have had together and was so worth the trip! We even got to visit with many friends along the way. All in all, an Amazing day:}

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/19 17:41 by SP8595.

Date: 12/04/19 15:38
Author: refarkas

An "A+"set of photos. You caught the beauty of the Big Boy under cloudy, snowy conditions which worked out to make these images even more effective.
Bob

Date: 12/04/19 15:44
Author: LIL_BUDDY

I was going to post a few of mine from Texas and Arkansas but there's no point now. Yours will blow them right off the page!! Outstanding images. Knew I should have chased a few more days. Thanks for sharing them.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/04/19 15:50
Author: ParkSouth

Well done John.  Also, what a surprise at Kit Carson!
Tom Klinger

Date: 12/04/19 16:00
Author: IC1038west

A tremendous gallery of steam on the Kansas Pacific.  Thank you very much for "joining" the party at a later date.  Really great capture of western Kansas with the snow and the machine. 

Date: 12/04/19 16:13
Author: SPgoletablock

- Now that’s what it’s supposed to look like!! Truly incredible shots. A quick pick of my 2 favorites would be #2 & #9 but all are a pleasure to the eyes. Hope your pops packed the appropriate clothing :)

Date: 12/04/19 16:57
Author: Ritzville

A excellent series with some really awesome shots of 4014!!

Larry

Date: 12/04/19 17:13
Author: jmhemmer

The Hays images, the "grab shot" near Wakeeney, and the final photo, at least, all belong in an art exhibit.  I have reopened this posting four times so far, because I can't resist looking again.

Who could have imagined that a combination of winter weather, landscapes that we might dismiss as uninteresting in Kansas and later in Colorado, and a few highly skilled photographers like you would produce what might be the signature photos of Big Boy's rebirth in 2019.  Simply awesome.

Mike

Date: 12/04/19 17:32
Author: stevelv

No apologies necessary as things like life get in the way of processing and posting.  You got some great shots on your chase!

Date: 12/04/19 18:09
Author: TheNavigator

Beautiful shots, John!  Especially like the Hays pics; glad you and your Dad had the opportunity to do it together.
GK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/19 18:12 by TheNavigator.

Date: 12/04/19 19:09
Author: Valleyman

Great shots John! Looking at the weather you endured, great effort. I see an IOTD or two in that group. #2 for sure.

Valleyman

Date: 12/04/19 22:33
Author: SD45X

Sweet!

Date: 12/05/19 04:10
Author: santafe199

I'm not at all surprised to wake up this morning and see your latest IOTD. Congrats, with so many outstanding images you couldn't miss! Nice work John, your consistency is a standard to be admired!

It was great to see you again at Sharon. And I was very pleased to meet your Dad. I enjoyed our short chat very much. And by the way, after we parted ways I drifted down to take a look-see at the parked 4014 and came away with a few shots without getting out of the rig.

Lance

Date: 12/05/19 04:26
Author: jmbreitigan

Simply awesome. I hope yopu submit some photos to UP. 
John

Date: 12/05/19 04:34
Author: atsfer

Beautiful shot....hope I can get to see the 4014 in a setting that pretty.

Date: 12/05/19 06:01
Author: twjurgens

All great shots!  Hard to pick a favorite.  4014's trips through Nebraska in the warm, summer air didn't give us the smoke and steam show that you got!

Date: 12/05/19 06:22
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, John!  Did you ever hear why they added the grain hoppers to the train?

Thanks for posting.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 12/05/19 07:08
Author: PasadenaSub

Great set of photos and sounds like you and your Dad had a great time together.  In the end, family is the most important thing.

Rich

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1014 seconds