Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Steam & Excursion > Nickel Plate Rye?

Date: 12/05/19 07:01
Nickel Plate Rye?
Author: Goalieman

Forgive me if this is only partially related to "Steam Railroading", but, I stopped in at Three Rivers Distillery last night and purchased a bottle of rye whiskey named after my favorite steam locomotive.  Merry Christmas to me!!  DELICIOUS!!!

Date: 12/05/19 07:19
Re: Nickel Plate Rye?
Author: nathansixchime

Sold out in 37 minutes and the most popular whiskey they've ever had! Thanks for stopping by.

For the whiskey lovers, here's the flavor profile:
-Aroma: Smoked wood, rye spice, mint, butterscotch.

-Aroma (after a sip): Turns to earthy leather.

-Flavor: Oak accentuated by the smokey grain, underlying cinnamon sweet, caramelized dark sugar, with an almond finish.

This rye whiskey is a tribute to the Nickel Plate Road steam locomotive no. 765. $2.00 from every bottle goes toward the FWRHS.

As a whiskey guy, the smokey character and flavor are really fantastic. They plan to make six times as much in the next batch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/19 07:19 by nathansixchime.

Date: 12/05/19 10:38
Author: Goalieman

The "Engine 765 Rye Whiskey" tastes exactly as you've described it Kelly.  I'm glad to hear that the society is getting some of the proceeds.  It is an excellent product!

Date: 12/05/19 11:02
Author: junctiontower

nathansixchime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sold out in 37 minutes and the most popular
> whiskey they've ever had! Thanks for stopping by.
>
> For the whiskey lovers, here's the flavor
> profile:
> -Aroma: Smoked wood, rye spice, mint,
> butterscotch.
>
> -Aroma (after a sip): Turns to earthy leather.
>
> -Flavor: Oak accentuated by the smokey grain,
> underlying cinnamon sweet, caramelized dark sugar,
> with an almond finish.
>
> This rye whiskey is a tribute to the Nickel Plate
> Road steam locomotive no. 765. $2.00 from every
> bottle goes toward the FWRHS.
>
> As a whiskey guy, the smokey character and flavor
> are really fantastic. They plan to make six times
> as much in the next batch.

Kelly, please let us know when it is available again.  I wouldn't mind having a bottle just as a collectors item. 

Date: 12/05/19 13:39
Author: GMRNE

I'd be interested in two bottles - but only one for my collection!

Date: 12/05/19 14:08
Author: HotWater

Will they be able to be mail ordered, especially to Illinois (there are some VERY strange liquor laws between Indiana and Illinois)?

Date: 12/05/19 14:16
Author: nycman

Rye is the true way to mix Manhattans, and boy, would I like to have some of that to try. 

Date: 12/05/19 14:57
Author: HotWater

nycman Wrote:
> Rye is the true way to mix Manhattans, and boy,
> would I like to have some of that to try. 

Personally, I'm a Bourbon drinker (most true Kentucky Bourbons are made with over 50% corn, per Government regulations, and some amount of Rye). My favorite is Maker's Mark, which is corn and winter wheat, but I'm always ready to try a really good Rye Whiskey.

Date: 12/05/19 17:41

Jack, have you been to Maker's Mark?  We did it back in 2006 and again this last spring, and it is a VASTLY improved experience, even though we enjoyed the first time.  If you are interested in seeing the bottling line operate, better shoot for a week day, though even then there are no guarantees.  My only complaint was that the items in the gift shop were kind of insanely priced.  They definitely cater to an upscale crowd.  The whisky tasting and the explanation of the custom barrel program and that facility were VERY informative.  For those that don't know, The distillary is only a short drive from the Kentucky Railway Museum.   Just a little further down the road is the National Corvette Museum and the Corvette assembly plant, and just up to the north is Bardstown, with LOTS of bourbon related things to do, including Jim Beam.  Plan right, and you can have a nice little vacation!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/19 17:43 by junctiontower.

Date: 12/05/19 18:06
Author: Jimbo

Glad that the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society is getting a cut of this.

And once upon a time there was a Nickel Plate Beer, brewed in Fort Wayne.

Date: 12/05/19 20:53

Jimbo Wrote:
> Glad that the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical
> Society is getting a cut of this.
>
> And once upon a time there was a Nickel Plate
> Beer, brewed in Fort Wayne.

As far as I can tell, it's highly unlikely anyone holds the rights to the Nickel Plate Beer name, I wonder if one of Fort Wayne's micro breweries would consider making a run of new Nickel Plate Beer?  Whether there is any record of how it was made, or anyone still alive who would remember what it tasted like, I can't say.

Date: 12/05/19 20:54
Author: RuleG

Glad that it sold out and sales are benefiting the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society.

I enjoy beer and wine, but don't care for whiskey.  However, let me know if there is ever a Nickel Plate rye bread.  I'll drive out to Bellevue or Fort Wayne just to buy a loaf!  :)

Date: 12/08/19 11:35
Author: nickatnight

HotWater Wrote:
> Will they be able to be mail ordered, especially
> to Illinois (there are some VERY strange liquor
> laws between Indiana and Illinois)?

Indiana prohibits shipping of spirits. In-state or out. Weird!

Date: 12/09/19 10:43

It may prohibit the distiller or retailer from shipping it, but don't see how they could stop a private individual from doing so.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds