Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Steam & Excursion > Not All Steam Locomotive Adaptations Were Pretty But They Worked!

Date: 12/06/19 01:55
Not All Steam Locomotive Adaptations Were Pretty But They Worked!
Author: LoggerHogger

The adaptability of steam motive power was one of the factors that kept many of these aging locomotives in action, long beyond the time their original builder's had intended.  Here is one such example.

Seen here in the late 1940's is the Porto Of Grays Harbor #5, still toiling away long after she had been built by the Dickson Locomotive Works in 1907.  Originally built as a simple 0-4-0T tank locomotive, she was more than adequate as s switching locomotive as originally designed.  However, the Port Of Grays Harbor clearly needed her to have more fuel capacity than originaly designed, which has led to this addidtion of a somewhat crude, but still effective, fuel tender addition.

While this adaptation may be no real thing of beauty, it did get the job done, and kept her on the docks switching even into the early 1950's.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/19 02:04 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/06/19 16:00
Re: Not All Steam Locomotive Adaptations Were Pretty But They Wor
Author: Rusty_Old_F250

That's downright cute! Reminds me of the Rayonier(?) 4wheel cars at snoqualmie. 

Speaking of equipment in/around Aberdeen, there's two log disconnects, a bremerton Navy flat, a camp shack and a tender tank (from the Rayonier 2-6-2) stored on the grounds of a contractor in Aberdeen, do you know who owns the equipment?

Sam

Date: 12/06/19 17:20

That is the tender from Polson #45.  We sold that to the folks at the Polson Museum.

Martin

Date: 12/07/19 00:11
Author: Rusty_Old_F250

I hadn't heard of them, I'll have to add it to my list of places to visit. Looks like they've been working on the 45, what are their plans? It looks more thourough than just a cosmetic restoration. 

Sam

Date: 12/07/19 02:08

It was originally planned to be a restoration to operative condition, but with a change of personel, it now is likely to simply be restored cosmetically.

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds