Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Steam & Excursion > This Proud Steam Locomotive Crew Included One Avid Railfan!

Date: 12/07/19 01:59
This Proud Steam Locomotive Crew Included One Avid Railfan!
Author: LoggerHogger

While it is not unusual to see crew men posed next to their steam locomotive during the age of steam, you did not often get a glimpse of an ardent railfan at the same time.  We do have that here, however.

The date is July, 1938 and the location is Tracy, California.  A 4-man crew is posed for the camera next to Southern Pacific's 4-6-0 #2309.  On the far right is not only the locomotive's engineer, but also one of the most avid railfans of the era in that region, David J. Welch.

While not the tallest man of the group, it was Engineer Welch that is still remembered today for having preserved on film so much of the steam railroading history of California's Central Valley and Bay Area.  We have this to thank you for Mr. Welch.

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/19 02:16 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/07/19 08:54
Re: This Proud Steam Locomotive Crew Included One Avid Railfan!
Author: cewherry

Each of us finds something in a photo that immediately draws our attention. It might be a locomotive or a type of rail car
or the location of the photo. For myself,  the first thing that 'grabbed' my eye in this scene are the sleeve protectors three
of these men are wearing. Back 'in the day' these protectors were considered de rigueur, almost a requirement, that is if you
wanted to get any 'mileage' out of a work shirt. 

The wife SP engineer Ernie Fromm, the man who pointed me toward my career on the rails, presented me with a pair of these black
cloth protectors as a present to mark a momentous occasion in my life, my hiring-out as a fireman over 57 years ago. Not only did
she give me the protectors, she included a paper pattern to insure I could continue the tradition. Sadly, I cannot say that I ever wore
them. Even more sadly, I have misplaced the pattern. My bad.

In this photo I'd wager that Mr. Welch's fireman is the man on the left. Polished shoes.

Great photo of a great time. 

Charlie

Date: 12/07/19 09:41

Sleeve protectors have been a regular part of my attire on all the engines I have been on.

Martin

Date: 12/07/19 11:02
Author: callum_out

Love the picture especially considering that the last SP steam on locals in the LA area was just such a locomotive.

Out

Date: 12/07/19 14:39
Author: sixbit

Martin:

I recall Bill Scott and Slim Murray (Pickering Lbr. Co.) both wore sleeve protectors even when switching the yards at Standard in the diesels. Steam or diesel - part of the standard uniform for engine crew professionals.

John Mills

Date: 12/07/19 15:00
Author: hawkinsun

Nice photos, and those sleave protectors look great.  Where can I get some of these sleave protectors ?   Wahlmart, Target, Macy's, Eddie Bauer,  LL Bean ?   Or just cut off some old socks ?
I've got tons of favorite shirts that it's already too late for.   These look good for all kinds of work.  What were they made of, and do they have elastic at the ends.  They look kind of like skiing  "gators", but for your forearms.

CraigHanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 12/07/19 15:12

Date: 12/07/19 16:34
Author: shipsbell

Charlie, one of the things I enjoy about trainorders.com is the little details people see in the photos and share. I never saw them or knew the story. Thanks for your insight. Patrick

Posted from Android

Date: 12/07/19 20:52
Author: roustabout

The other obvious thing is that the 2309 is a pretty husky ten-wheeler.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0616 seconds