Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam train storyline in Gasoline Alley

Date: 12/11/19 14:37
Steam train storyline in Gasoline Alley
Author: LTCerny

"Gasoline Alley,"  the comic strip that has been continuously running in newspapers for over 100 years, has a current story line about a Polar Express-type train called the "Christmas Mistletoe Express" that started November 21.  The engine looks like a 4-6-0 numbered 952.  The strip can be viewed on line at gocomics.com.

Date: 12/11/19 23:08
Re: Steam train storyline in Gasoline Alley
Author: gobbl3gook

Gasoline Alley was originally written in Tomah, Wisconsin.  A busy town on the Milwaukee Road and C&NW. 

I coresponded with the author about 15 years ago, he was a pretty ho-hum guy, the son of one of the original authors, if I recall correctly.  He was like "it's a job..."  

My aunt was born in Tomah, and her birth was mentioned in the strip, one character was prattling to someone over the backyard fence.  And gossipped "and the Barnses have a new baby girl".  I think this was when Walt was born, or Walt's son?  The partiarch of the last 95 years.  

Gasoline Alley was notable in the past because the characters aged.  There was speculation, 20 years ago, that Walt might be allowed to die.  Which would be a first in comic strip history, or something along those lines.  Scarlatti told me he didn't have the guts to kill him off, though.  Thought he would get too much flak.  Though I think he was wrong, he would have actually made the news with his otherwise rather dull strip if he would have aged people out... 

If anyone has ideas for the strip, Jim Scarlatti might consider them.  Or not.  Or maybe it's *his* son now... 

Thanks for the tip, I went over there, strip is still the same style as it was in the 80s... 

Ted in OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds