Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Steam & Excursion > Look what a new paint job does

Date: 01/07/20 17:43
Look what a new paint job does
Author: tomstp

Classy to some, ugly to others,  Texas & Pacific tried its best to match its passenger power to the new Eagle scheme.  At first several 4-6-2's were repainted with that blue and light gray  with black outlined engine numbers, silver smoke boxes and stripes for color separation.  One even had metal extensions on the walk ways in a half hearted attempt to streamline it..   Here 710 shows off its new job at the Marshall TX shops.  Other 4-6-2's will follow in 1947 along with several 4-8-2's.in 1948.  The scheme would be short lived on the 4-8-2 engines lasting  2 years at most, while many 4-6-2's went to scrap with the scheme still on them.  

It is of interest to note   that Missouri Pacific did not paint a single engine in the blue and gray or any other scheme to match their passenger trains.  Freight and passenger engines were basic black and graphite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/20 21:01 by tomstp.

Date: 01/07/20 19:18
Re: Look what a new paint job does
Author: elueck

A striking color scheme on a very powerful looking and powerful locomotive!

Date: 01/07/20 19:21
Author: gregscholl

Did any of these go to Mexico later?  They had some that looked similar to these?
Greg Scholl

Date: 01/07/20 20:55

No Greg, they did not.  T&P sold Mexico some pretty badly worn 2-10-2's only.  All the pacifics were scraped , although one was sold to Poulson in Louisiana that he used in his gravel business until  he died,  then his sons sold all the steam engines for scrap and bought a diesel.  He had also bought 2    2-8-2's and one 0-6-0 from the T&P.  I read a story in a magazine about him buying those engines  and he was elated with them because they all we in excellent condition, "A #1" he said..  He had about  12 steam engines in his gravel business.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/20 20:58 by tomstp.

Date: 01/08/20 04:46
Author: Bscale316

Your gravel business reference reminded me of seeing something about these T&P engines
years ago in Extra 2200 South magazine. Couldn't find it, but I did find this article about the 
gravel company and its engine purchases. (scroll down to the T&P part).
https://meridianspeedway.weebly.com/louisiana-eastern-story.html

Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 01/08/20 07:18
Author: Frisco1522

The Paulson Spence story is sad.   Some really nice engines were cut up by the family.  NKP, T&P, IC and others.

Date: 01/08/20 07:23

Well, my memory proved to be quite bad on the number of engines he owned.

Date: 01/09/20 05:49
Author: Bscale316

Hi Tom. I think you've forgotten more than we'll ever know! LOL.
Bill in Ft Worth

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1737 seconds