Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cumbres & Toltec Rotary OY Excursion Question

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/07/20 21:53
Cumbres & Toltec Rotary OY Excursion Question
Author: Sasquatch

Hi All,

I'm wondering if any TO folk attended previous runs of C&TS rotary snow plow OY in past years, and if so, would you advise bringing snowshoes?  Or will the photo sites be accessible in regular snow boots? 

Anything else you'd recommend bringing along on this trip that served you well in years past...or that you wish you had brought along?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might provide!

-Tom

Date: 01/07/20 22:27
Re: Cumbres & Toltec Rotary OY Excursion Question
Author: dan

snowshoes are a good idea, but on the busses?  I have no idea  there are modern more compact shoes, the old style huge ones  may not be as welcome?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/20 23:38 by dan.

Date: 01/07/20 23:25
Author: jbwest

The OY ops in the 90's were in the spring and the snow had a crust so by and large snow shoes were not helpful.  However that will not be the case in February, so in theory snowshoes might be helpful.  The problem is more likely going to be maintaining photo line discipline, and with 150 participants that will be no small challenge.  If some folks have snowshoes and some don't, it could be....well...interesting.  I have no idea what the railroad is going to do, if anything to prepare photo locations and set up photo lines.  I know in the past the D&S has sent crews out the days before a winter photo charter to dig and tramp down paths through deep know, and snowshoes were not allowed.  That worked pretty well.  And remember on the C&TS you will be riding buses with the group to photo locations along the highway, so it is not clear what opportunities there will be to head off through the woods.  I am debating with myself whether to take my snowshoes.

Here is a link to my pix from several of the OY runs in the 90's: The Great Rotary Show.  All taken without showshoes!  Warm boots and water proof pants are probably more important.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/20 23:41 by jbwest.

Date: 01/08/20 05:02
Author: march_hare

I was on the more recent flanger trip a couple years ago. Snow cover was pretty light, and so I left my compact, aluminum frame snowshoes in the car. 

Big mistake. I wish I'd had them with me on the last two ( that is, the highest and snowiest) runbys. If you have shoes with cleats, that would help, too. 

Date: 01/08/20 05:17
Author: PorterNo2

Howdy all,

Please do not bring snowshoes to the event as this will only slow down the formation of photo lines. This experience will not include cross country trekking so they are not necessary.

Best,

Stathi

Efstathios I Pappas
Assistant General Manager
Operations Manager
Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/08/20 08:40
Author: callum_out

The mid-seventies runs were very hit and miss, one year nearly no snow, not bad the next. The year I rode we ran with one engine and ended up going over
Lobato with the plow, the plow tender and the engine with people on the tender and everywhere else. Snowshoes would have helped but they weren't absolutely
necessary. Thing is, ther 2020 runs are not going to have rider cars, who knows on the snow, and the area East of the bridge and up to the Dalton road crossing
is off limits, no trespassing and attorney waiting to prosecute you in place. This will be a civilized affair, bring a long lens, and hope for decent snow.

Out 

Date: 01/08/20 08:57

PorterNo2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Howdy all,
>
> Please do not bring snowshoes to the event as this
> will only slow down the formation of photo lines.
> This experience will not include cross country
> trekking so they are not necessary.
>
> Best,
>
> Stathi
>
> Efstathios I Pappas
> Assistant General Manager
> Operations Manager
> Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
>
Thanks for jumping in Stathi.  Now that the snowshoe issue is clear, will there be a policy on drones?

JBWX

Date: 01/08/20 10:34

John, you're going to bring a drone on the bus?

Out 

Date: 01/08/20 10:41

the bus have sunroofs fly right out

Date: 01/08/20 10:56

callum_out Wrote:
> John, you're going to bring a drone on the bus?
>
> Out 

No I don't do drones.   But just curious because I can see why others might want to do so.  But drones are a bit like snowshoes, what works well for the individual does not necessarily work so well for a large group.

JBWX

Date: 01/08/20 11:15
Author: gregscholl

I did the rotary in 1991, 1993, and 1997.  These were all operated to clear the railroad for the opening of the railroad.  The idea was to run in early May, clear the tracks, so that snow on the rails could melt easier which allowed for the MOW crews to get in there if need be.
Here is one from the last time it operated....in 1997 (Was the only year it ran in this color). No road to this spot!!!
Greg
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 01/08/20 11:21
Author: gregscholl

Sasquatch Wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm wondering if any TO folk attended previous
> runs of C&TS rotary snow plow OY in past years,
> and if so, would you advise bringing snowshoes? 
> Or will the photo sites be accessible in regular
> snow boots? 
>
> Anything else you'd recommend bringing along on
> this trip that served you well in years past...or
> that you wish you had brought along?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you might
> provide!
>
> -Tom

Not sure if you have a ticket or not, but would advise that those who DO NOT have a ticket might want to consider NOT going.  The whole thing is set-up for the 150 ticket holders and the highway access will be somewhat controlled. So, you may very well not get access to see it run!!!  Supposedly they will have the busses parked on the highway for the photo lines, and NM/CO police and highway crews will lead regular traffic past the busses so as to not interfere.  The point is you won't be able to stop where the Rotary is unless you have a ticket and are on the bus.  At least that is what I have heard!  Bottom line its not really a public event and not chaseable in the normal sense!
Greg Scholl

Date: 01/08/20 14:11

Yes, many thanks for your input, Stathi!  And thanks as well to all you other folks who are posting great info.  Mr. West, your linked photos are nothing short of outstanding...I already feel I know the place and event better.  Impressive stuff, John!

Anybody have opinions on waterproff snow pants, or will gaiters (leggings) work well enough?  

Perhaps the busses wiil use the below-decks luggage compartments for drones?  Just please, pilots, fly 'em up high so they're not in our scenic panarama photos and we don't hear them on the videos. (Thanks!)

-Tom

jbwest Wrote:
> PorterNo2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > Howdy all,
> > Please do not bring snowshoes to the event as
> > this will only slow down the formation of photo
> > lines.
> > This experience will not include cross country
> > trekking so they are not necessary.
> > Best, Stathi
> >
> > Efstathios I Pappas
> > Assistant General Manager
> > Operations Manager
> > Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
> >
> >
> Thanks for jumping in Stathi....
>
> JBWX

Date: 01/08/20 14:48
Author: nycman

Tom, have a great trip on this one.  Stathi,  thanks for your always accurate advice.  John West, those photos of past rotary ops are really great.  Wish I could be there.

Date: 01/08/20 14:56

I sure wish you could be there too Jim.  Thanks for your good wishes, my friend.

-Tom

Date: 01/08/20 15:14

Sasquatch Wrote:

> Anybody have opinions on waterproff snow pants, or
> will gaiters (leggings) work well enough?  

Depends on how deeply you wallow in the snow!  And sometimes the wallowiing is quite unintentional.  A lot will depend on how much snow there is.  You look at the chama web cams right now and they could start plowing right out of the roundhouse.  But it is not unusual for there to be very little snow until beyond Cresco.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/20 15:23 by jbwest.

Date: 01/08/20 15:18
Author: Alco251

I will do the same as the last time I chased the rotary...Sorel boots, thick socks, layered clothes, Gore-tex leggings (I will bring heavy and midweight, depending on the weather) and Gore Tex jacket. Not flying to Chama so I can carry a lot of stuff to cover just about any scenario...including plenty of large plastic trash bags, pieces of chamois cloth and a variety of gloves. Check Cabela's, BassPro, REI, Duluth Trading and other such outfitter websites for good clothing options if you need to buy anything for this trip. Gloves? Try this outfit https://us.photographygloves.com/collections/photography-gloves?utm_campaign=New%20Years%20Updates%20%28LiDQHV%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Klaviyo&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJkcmJ1c3NlQHJvYWRydW5uZXIuY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiTjdnQVVVIn0%3D

There are certain times in the spring that a hard-hat would be helpful, because chunks of ice are flying everywhere when the rotary works.

On this kind of chase, schlepping on/off buses with narrow aisles, a camera bag or backpack can be a royal pain. I took some advice years ago from photojournalist friends who were imbedded with troops during the Gulf War and purchased camera/lens carry system from these folks. http://www.newswear.com  The "Chestvest" was designed for "on the run" photography. Have used this system in a variety of railfan applications and it works quite well.

For those who have never seen the C&TS rotary in operation, it's certainly one of the real wonders of the railfan experience. Just bring along plenty of patience and keep in mind that the whole operation moves along incredibly slowly. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/20 11:41 by Alco251.

Date: 01/08/20 16:06

Other than the Narrows and maybe between the 2nd road crossing and Creso, the deeper snow will be away from the road. You
won't see many spots where  flying snow is going to be an issue (unlike previous years). If the snow is heavy you might see the
train make the 2nd road crossing, light and who knows,, Cumbres? I hope the weather cooperates, people have pretty hefty
investments on this trip.

Out 

Date: 01/08/20 17:09

ski gear willwork well i would think, you don't want to be a Michelin man  maybe

Date: 01/08/20 17:31

Big deal is going to be the first step off the bus, there won't be much shoulder and what you've got to walk on might
be pretty icy. Winter use of golf shoes!

Oui

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1288 seconds