Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Steam & Excursion > One Glance At This Scene Shows You What This This Line Hauled!

Date: 01/12/20 00:00
One Glance At This Scene Shows You What This This Line Hauled!
Author: LoggerHogger

One look at the background of this Southern Pacific freight headed by 2-10-2 #3702 as helper with a Cab-Forward as power tells you that lumber was clearly one of the principal reasons SP came to Oregon in the first place.

From the wigwam burner and the piles of fresh cut lumber we can tell that the train is going past Chiloquin, Oregon in the late 1940's scene. While the mill is gone as is the handsome steam power of that day, SP's sucessor Union Pacific still hauls lumber on this very same line today.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/20 00:25 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 01/12/20 19:44
Re: One Glance At This Scene Shows You What This This Line Hauled
Author: tunmtr

Martin - I don't believe that is Oakridge - The Indicator shows 1-632 - That's an Eastbound / The Lead Engine could be an Helper going back to Eugene for Servicing / No Wig-Wam Burner at Oakridge would have been that close to the Tracks / Also the Main Line was Above the Mill / The Train looks like its going up Hill which would fit for Chiloquin - West of the West Switch - I''ll get back with the correct answer - unless someone else beats Me to it ! Rod Loder

Date: 01/13/20 00:26
Author: LoggerHogger

Rod,

Now that you mention the track location, I believe you are right.  This looks to be Chiloquin.  Good spotting.

Martin

Date: 01/13/20 11:14
Author: nickatnight

What is that first car?   Scale car?

Nickatnight

Date: 01/13/20 11:20
Author: HotWater

nickatnight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is that first car?   Scale car?
>
> Nickatnight

Looks a bit like a side dump gon. Scale cars were generally placed at the very rear of a train, since most had no air brakes.

Date: 01/14/20 21:26
Author: coach

Couldn't this also be a Siskiyou Line train climbing upgrade by the lumber mill at WEED, CA, heading towards Black Butte junction??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds