Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Steam & Excursion > This Chore Took Time, But Each Steam Locomotive Needed It Done!

Date: 02/03/20 04:05
This Chore Took Time, But Each Steam Locomotive Needed It Done!
Author: LoggerHogger

While taking water was a part of servicing that was done more often each day with steam motive power, it also went relatively quickly compared to the taking on of locomotive fuel oil.  Even with the best facilities as we see here, adding hundreds of gallons of bunker-C fuel still takes time.  The colder it it is, the more time it takes.

This scene was taken in the SP&S yards in Vancouver, Washington on April 19, 1940.  SP&S 4-8-4 #702 has made it to the head of the line of locomotives waiting for their turn under the oil spout.  We get a good look at the screw valve used by the hostler to start and stop the flow of oil into the big oil bunker on the nearly new 4-8-4.

From the smile on the engineer's face, he seems quite pleased that he does not need to leave his seat to assist in this slow process.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/20 04:12 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 02/03/20 11:03
Re: This Chore Took Time, But Each Steam Locomotive Needed It Don
Author: Jim700

As a kid I rode behind the 702 (as well as its two E1-class sisters) many times on SP&S #3 and #4 from Wishram to Portland and return.  As it approached the Wishram depot from the east (before daylight during most of the year) and pulled by me to its stopping point I, like many young boys of that era, had fantasies of running it someday.  Never could I have imagined then that almost a half century later those great desires would actually come true.  When I pull the throttle of the City of Portland-owned 700 in this era I sure realize how blessed I've been!

EDIT:  Check out Martin's post from four years ago at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3985949,3987566#msg-3987566.  It has an excellent picture of an oil column in use.  Also, look near the bottom of the thread at my posting responding to Don's posting with information regarding the late Kenny Prager's story in his book That Reminds Me of Another Story: Stories of the SP&S Railway.  It's quite a story.  Kenny sure had mess to deal with.  I really enjoyed firing steam for Kenny on the SP&S.  His expertise on the right side of the cab made my job easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/20 00:46 by Jim700.

Date: 02/03/20 12:37
Author: rrman6

What a great shot.  Seldom seen being filled with Bunker C.  Thanks for the show here.
Looking at these guys, especially the hostler in the cab, I wonder if they weren't pulled from this job by Uncle Sam.  In either case, I'm sure they fulfilled their task and if taken to war, hope they survived.

Date: 02/03/20 12:55
Author: Ardenwood

A truly beautiful shot of a handsome engine.  Here is a sister enjingine in Montana.

Date: 02/03/20 14:15
Author: nycman

I love your full side shots, Haruo, showing the great lines of these locomotives.

Date: 02/04/20 14:47
Author: Frisco1522

An important job and it is also very important not to let it run over.   I teaspoon of Bunker Oil could cover half of Nebraska, or so it seems.   Nasty stuff.

Date: 02/04/20 16:32
Author: LarryDoyle

How long did it take to fill with a standpipe vs. Coal from a tipple?

-LD

Date: 02/04/20 17:54
Author: HotWater

LarryDoyle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How long did it take to fill with a standpipe vs.
> Coal from a tipple?
>
> -LD

Refilling a coal tender was really fast, from my memories, i.e. much faster that taking on hot Bunker C from a standpipe.

Date: 02/04/20 21:36
Author: rrman6

From what distance would the heated Bunker C fuel be transported to the stand pipe?  Would like to learn more of this process.

Date: 02/04/20 23:39
Author: GN599

Jim that story about Kenny and the Lady getting baptized with bunker C in Portland is priceless. Even if you’re not interested in the SP&S I highly recommend that book to anyone that reads these threads! I would have a smile on my face if I was going to run the 702 as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/20 21:50 by GN599.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds