Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Steam & Excursion > When Some Of The Steam Fleet Rests This Engine Continues To Work!

Date: 02/22/20 03:10
When Some Of The Steam Fleet Rests This Engine Continues To Work!
Author: LoggerHogger

This was the scene at Soouthern Pacific's Mission Bay Roundhouse in San Francisco in 1935.  We see a number of SP locomotives on the house tracks around the roundhouse to the right, while hard at work in the foreground is SP 0-6-0 #1212, hard at work.  In the background we see the Bay Bridge under constructioin.

There is something about this scene that simply draws you in to that time and place.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/20 04:19 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 02/22/20 04:18
Re: When Some Of The Steam Fleet Rests This Engine Continues To W
Author: patd3985

Great stuff Martin! I'd sure like to be that switchman riding the footboards and listening to that little workhorse! Of course he probably wishes for a bit of peace and quiet after hearing it work all day!

Date: 02/22/20 08:00
Author: TonyJ

=15.6pxI spent many hours at this spot watching the commute fleet roll by, and drags arrive and depart Mission Bay Yard. At far left above the last hopper car is Potrero Tower where a friendly Towerman (Bill Boyd) answered my questions. On the horizon is the two-lane Third Street viaduct where street traffic could go over the SP track leading to the Santa Fe interchange. I took my very first railfan photo from the Mission Bay turntable back in 1954... and I still have it! You bet this photo brings back memories.

Date: 02/22/20 08:10
Author: tomstp

Love the picture, just full of interesting things.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds