Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Steam & Excursion > A cold but memorable trip on the D&S.

Date: 03/22/20 09:59
A cold but memorable trip on the D&S.
Author: stevelv

Seems like many of us here have some extra time on our hands lately so I started looking at some of my old digital photos by opening them randomly mainly due to my lack of organizational skills of my collection.  The first group I looked at were from an awesome and quick trip from my home in Henderson, NV to Southwestern Colorado and back in the Fall of 2009.On October 30, 2009 my brother Rob came out west to visit and we did a quick 4 day trip which included a ride on the Durango and Silverton.  I had taken the ride twice before this and once since, the first time as a young teen on a family vacation out west in the late 70’s. All of those trips were taken in the midsummer which is the height of the tourist season when they run 3 or 4 trains per day to Silverton.  This trip was the second to last run of the season when only one round trip per day is run and there were maybe 50 other people on the train with us. My brother and I consider ourselves sound of mind but that day we purchased tickets to ride in the open car. We prepared as we both had many layers of winter clothing which was barely enough but we toughed it out and had a great trip.  Here are a few photos from our day.

1. It was 15 degrees when we started out from Durango in the morning.  We had the 482 a K-36 built by Baldwin in 1925. Here she is simmering at the depot shortly before departure.

2. Here we are I think shortly after departing Rockwood and nearing the high line.  We stayed in the open car most of the trip. The car next to us had a counter right inside the vestibule door that had hot tea and cocoa and was toasty warm.  Other passengers would occasionally come out to our car, question our sanity and then after about 5 or 10 minutes retreat back to the warmth of the coaches.

3. If you’ve ever been to Silverton in the summer you’ll know it’s packed with people especially when there are 2 or 3 trains in town at once.  Looks a bit spartan here on a cold day at the end of October. Over half the restaurants and bars were already closed for the season.

Date: 03/22/20 10:03
Re: A cold but memorable trip on the D&S.
Author: stevelv

4. Another photo of the emptiness of Silverton.  The building on the left is one of the bar/restaurant establishments already closed.  On a summer day there would be a few hundred people milling around here 15 minutes before departure time.

5. Drifting down the Animas River canyon on the way back to Durango.

6. Nearing the end of our trip rolling along highway 550 south of Hermosa.  We replaced the morning's hot tea and cocoa with some adult beverages on the return trip.  Here is my brother finishing up his as another great and memorable trip on the Durango and Silverton approaches its destination..  Thanks for looking.

Steve Benkovitz
Henderson, NV

Date: 03/22/20 10:30
Author: tomstp

The winter Cascade train is a really good ride seeing all the frozen waterfalls and snow with beautiful clear skies.  Ride the last car that has open bar.  Really nice to stand on the rear platform and watch the country go bye while sipping on----------.

Date: 03/22/20 10:55
Author: rbenko

Was an awesome trip bro - as are just about all of my excursions out west with you.  What a fabulous (but cccold!) day to ride the D&S - hardly anyone on it, basically had the open car to ourselves, had an awesome lunch (both liquid and other) in a deserted Silverton, and a nice downhill ride back, not feeling much pain! 

To add to the fun, here's a couple of photos.  First is on the way north - a nice shot of #482, our trusty steed for the day, with gloriously lit and snow-covered Mt. Garfield as a backdrop.  Second up is to show the TO faithful how empty our open car was, and that I wasn't the only one imbibing on the way back!!  Here stevelv downing one of several tasty beverages on the way home.

Haven't been back since - need to go again soon!  We're hoping to ride the C&TS this summer if the current unpleasantries clear up in time.

Be safe and well out there.

Rob Benkovitz
West Palm Beach, FL

Date: 03/22/20 11:07
Author: Bob3985

Your seventh photo on the return trip is the icing on the cake. What a beautiful photo from onboard the train.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/22/20 11:19
Author: rbenko

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your seventh photo on the return trip is the icing
> on the cake. What a beautiful photo from onboard
> the train.

Actually that was taken on the way up, but thanks for the compliment!!  It's one of my favorite shots I've ever taken.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0622 seconds