Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Steam & Excursion > Leaving Durango on the morning train.

Date: 03/23/20 11:36
Leaving Durango on the morning train.
Author: DonWinslow

The morning train to Farmington in 1965.

Don Winslow
Glendora, CA
http://www.donwinslow.net/Railroads

Date: 03/23/20 11:49
Re: Leaving Durango on the morning train.
Author: tomstp

That shot shocked me for a bit.  Seeing the 483 with the Silverton cars caught me off guard until I read the date.

Date: 03/23/20 11:59
Author: robj

Cool look back.  thanks.

Bob Jordan

Date: 03/23/20 13:53
Author: refarkas

An "A+" historic image.
Bob

Date: 03/23/20 14:34
Author: YardLimit

Excellent photo!

Date: 03/23/20 14:55
Author: jbwest

What caught my eye was the good line and level of the track.  Even as late as 1965 I remember the DRGW ng. as being a pretty good railroad despite its mostly native earth ballast and manual maintenance.  But in its last few years after that it went down hill quickly and many fans seem to think of it in those "through the weeds not around them" terms, much like the RGS.

JBWX 

Date: 03/23/20 16:27
Author: Bob3985

That is a great historic photo Don.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/23/20 17:31
Author: callum_out

Heck with the string of yellow things, if indeed the 483 is on a Farmington that's way more interesting,
excellent shot, so different today.

Out 

Date: 03/24/20 10:20
Author: GAMVanc

Nice shot.  I'm guessing that this was the Illini Railroad Club excursion in early June, 1965.  I was on the trip and 483 was the power to Farmington.

Thank you for posting.

George M

Date: 03/25/20 06:30
Author: march_hare

Great shot. 

And wow, I had no idea the track was that good, that late. 

Date: 03/25/20 13:09
Author: jbwest

Don's photo reminded me of several in my collection.  The first is a similar shot taken at the same location a few years earlier, interesting change in the building in the background, by 1965 Durango was starting to go upscale.  The same year as Don's photo, the summer monsoon's were heavy, saturating the ground, and the Farmington branch was closed for several weeks while a soft fill was replaced.  The second pictures shows a work train shoving a dragline into position to dig out the fill.  About the same time a short train headed east with a few loads of lumber and encountered a slip out in the area where the new hospital now stands.  While the section crew dug it out by hand, the train retreated to Durango to pickup two cars of slag which the next morning it shoved ahead of it to be dumped into the hole before continuing its way east.

JBWX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/20 15:14 by jbwest.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds