Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Steam & Excursion > T-Hog At Gettysburg

Date: 03/25/20 13:45
T-Hog At Gettysburg
Author: MaryMcPherson

The Chessie Steam Special making a stop at Gettysburg in a slide dated May, 1977.  Think she may have been in this neck of the woods before?

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 03/25/20 14:42
Re: T-Hog At Gettysburg
Author: ClubCar

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Chessie Steam Special making a stop at
> Gettysburg in a slide dated May, 1977.  Think she
> may have been in this neck of the woods before?
The Reading Railroad had a line (it's the Gettysburg Railroad Today) that came down into Gettysburg many years ago and I don't know whether or not the 2101 ever pulled a freight train over this line.  However, the sister engine, 2100, pulled a Reading Ramble down that line in 1960 or 61.  Keep in mind that the 2101 never actually pulled a Ramble since it was a stand-by engine in case the 2100, 2102 or 2124 failed during that period of time.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 03/26/20 10:31
Author: LJGross

Sister 2102 was there waaaay back in 1972. This was on a pair of excursions round-trip from Baltimore to Hagerstown on a bitter-cold February weekend. The westbound trip was via the Gettysburg Line and then return via the WM main. We had a pair of FA's as helpers over Jacks Mountain. Those were the days!

LJG

Date: 03/26/20 11:47
Author: cozephyr

Thanks L Gross for the Reading 2102 image at Gettysburg.  Neat Gettysburg fire engine-no cab roof-!?!  Glad you experienced the Reading Rambles of the 1970's-alas I was too young.

Date: 03/26/20 12:19
Author: boejoe

I was on a Reading Ramble to Gettysburg with T-1's (engine change at Rutherford, I believe) in Fall 1963.  Rambles started in October 1959 - I missed all of them until '63 due to military service.
Can't remember road numbers of T-1's on that Sunday.

Date: 03/26/20 14:31
Author: bigsavage

LJGross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sister 2102 was there waaaay back in 1972. This
> was on a pair of excursions round-trip from
> Baltimore to Hagerstown on a bitter-cold February
> weekend. The westbound trip was via the Gettysburg
> Line and then return via the WM main. We had a
> pair of FA's as helpers over Jacks Mountain. Those
> were the days!
>
> LJG
>  

Gettysburg Eng. 1-4 was a 1951 Mack L-85, in service until 1998. Nickname was the"Mighty Mack".
On 7/1/1976, RDG2101 visited Gettysburg as AFT#1 with the Freedom train, GFD's 1957 Mack B-85 engine, nicknamed "General IKE" did the rewatering honors.
Photo by Richard Cook; from book '100 Favorite Fire Rigs', by former BLE prez John Sytsma.

Date: 03/26/20 15:21
Author: rdgrailfan

Rambles ran multiple trips to Getytsburg, I was on multiple trips, copy of April 29, 1962 attached just for grins.  do rememberouble headers to Gettysburg, Think I have smoe shots of them being serviced just north of the station, will look

Date: 03/26/20 15:46
Author: MaryMcPherson

Thirsty?  The truck's here!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 03/27/20 16:56
Author: Kemacprr

They were called Bermuda cabs by Mack. Bermuda wanted a convertible fire engine so Mack made the Bermuda cab. ------- Ken --  Who owned and drove Macks for years  B models, R models and CH models. . 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/20 16:58 by Kemacprr.

Date: 03/28/20 07:27
Author: jberlin

In August 1979, I had a Summer job on the Gettysburg Railroad when former Reading T-1 #2101 (in American Freedom Train livery) was towed through Gettysburg on her way to the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore.  The locomotive has just passed the well-traveled Gettysburg Railroad depot (original Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad Rockton PA depot, former Penn View Mountain Railroad depot near Blairsville PA).  This depot was moved once again to Kane PA for the now defunct Knox & Kane Railroad, where it exists today in spite of a fire of suspicious origin.  Sorry for the photo quality, as it was taken from a print.   - Kevin Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/20 07:30 by jberlin.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds