Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Steam & Excursion > Not the 2472

Date: 03/28/20 18:09
Not the 2472
Author: wpamtk

Lately, a bizarre individual posting on another discussion board (the name of which begins with "A") has been claiming that SP 2472 spent years stored at Greenbrae on the Northwestern Pacific, despite vast amounts of proof that it did not. Here is the engine that did spend time there, Santa Maria Valley #21, seen in May 1975. This is now the approxiamate location of SMART's Larkspur station, with a large shopping center in the background. I believe the engine is now in Astoria, OR.

Date: 03/28/20 18:27
Re: Not the 2472
Author: zoohogger

21 is definitly at Astoria. I saw it a number of years ago(more than 10 with firebox sitting in position to be "installed".  I hope to see it run one of these days. Nice engine.

Rick Z

Date: 03/28/20 18:31
Author: callum_out

I remember it well driving up 101.

Out 

Date: 03/28/20 20:30
Author: KMiddlebrook

For awhile, she was listed for sale in Hemmings Motor news while in Larkspur.  My father responded to the advertisement and talked with the seller who was asking $5k, according to dad's handwritten notes in my files.   Shortly thereafter, she was moved to Washington State.  

Date: 03/28/20 21:57
Author: Willsburg765

Here is the Santa Maria Valley 21 in Astoria, Oregon on Sept. 20, 2019.  It is currently being restored by Astoria Railroad Preservation Association, http://www.astoriarailroad.org/index.html

Joe

Date: 03/29/20 15:03
Some things don't change
Author: jbwest

I only saw the 21 run once, many many years ago, but I can remember thinking at the time gosh I wish they would find a different headlight.  And the picture of the front end above left me with exactly the same thought.  But that being said it is great to see her returning to life after these many years.  And I guess even the fat headlight now has historical charm.  Look forward to hear more.

JBWX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1158 seconds