Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Steam & Excursion > Strasburg Rail Road Virtual Cameras

Date: 05/18/20 06:36
Strasburg Rail Road Virtual Cameras
Author: ClubCar

In looking at the Strasburg Rail Road Virtual Camera right now, it appears that they have steamed up one of their engines as one can observe a lot of coal smoke coming from behind the engine house.  I wonder what they are doing as there are no scheduled steam excursions planned indefinitely at the moment from what I have been told?

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/18/20 07:11
Re: Strasburg Rail Road Virtual Cameras
Author: Juniata

Just checked the Strasburg cam and saw what you’re referring to. It definitely looks like they have one of the steam locomotives fired up behind the shed.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/18/20 07:39
Author: gregscholl

Speaking of Strasburg I assume they are not running any passenger trains at this time.  However, I wonder if they are doing any freight business, and if so, is it steam or diesel hauled these days?
Greg

Date: 05/18/20 10:30
Author: MaryMcPherson

If there is freight traffic, I'm sure they're using that EMD switcher.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 05/18/20 11:15
Author: bigsavage

8618 can be seen this morning picking up 3 cars on Leaman Place VR cam @ 9:40am, along with an interesting Amtrak move.

Date: 05/18/20 11:15
Author: JimBaker

I just tried logging in to the Strasburg Depot cam and had to reload a new access address through the 'Googie' app.
There was a long intermittent delay when a huge blast of smoke came out of the EMD Switcher near the shop. building.
Their reservation page still shows a calendar set on May 10th and onward.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 05/18/20 11:26
Author: ClubCar

gregscholl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Speaking of Strasburg I assume they are not
> running any passenger trains at this time.
>  However, I wonder if they are doing any freight
> business, and if so, is it steam or diesel hauled
> these days?
> Greg

Strasburg is operating freight trains almost every day using their switcher #8618 a former N.Y. Central engine.  Steam usually only hauls freight once in a while and since they are not operating their regular passenger trains and their schedule right now says mid-June, until today, none of their steam locomotives have been steamed up and outside.
If you look right now at the virtual camera in Strasburg, you will notice that the building where they keep the steam engines is open, #89 is right at the door and behind one can now view another steam engine directly behind with steam coming from it and smoke.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/20 11:30 by ClubCar.

Date: 05/18/20 18:15
Author: OCtrainguy

bigsavage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 8618 can be seen this morning picking up 3 cars on
> Leaman Place VR cam @ 9:40am, along with an
> interesting Amtrak move.

Thanks for that.  Just checked it out and it was cool to see both!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds