Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Steam & Excursion > N&W 2156 back to ST. Louis, Roanoke Shops close

Date: 05/20/20 04:02
N&W 2156 back to ST. Louis, Roanoke Shops close
Author: bigsavage

If you have a soft spot for Roanoke and the N&W, yesterday TRAINS Magazine reported that N&W Y6a #2156 will be returned to the National Museum of Transportation near St. Louis.
TRAINS FB site also had a editorial from the Roanoke Times (roanoke.com) that noted the Monday closing of the N&W shops, and pondered the future relevance of the railroad to the Roanoke economy. 
Glad I took the time to see both in 2016.
WW Jenkins photos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/20 04:03 by bigsavage.

Date: 05/20/20 08:08
Re: N&W 2156 back to ST. Louis, Roanoke Shops close
Author: tomstp

Damn shame to see the almost history of the town to be long gone.

Date: 05/20/20 09:23
Author: junctiontower

The story of big business.  Milk a local community for all it's worth and then throw it away like yesterday's garbage.  In many cases, these towns and cities help MAKE these companies, and then get treated like something you stepped in when they aren't hip and cool enough to satisfy the jackasses in the upper levels of the management team.

Date: 05/20/20 09:49
Author: Spoony81

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The story of big business.  Milk a local
> community for all it's worth and then throw it
> away like yesterday's garbage.  In many cases,
> these towns and cities help MAKE these companies,
> and then get treated like something you stepped in
> when they aren't hip and cool enough to satisfy
> the jackasses in the upper levels of the
> management team.

One of my favorite bands American Aquarium just put out a new album called Lamentations and the lead track "Me +Mine" deals with this very thing. Towns dying when the factories and businesses close

Date: 05/20/20 10:02
Author: holiwood

Hope to get to Roanoke to see it one more time 

Date: 05/20/20 11:02
Author: callum_out

But the flip side is that the towns grew because of the railroad, their success was because of the railroad, Yes they gave their labor but it also
provided the total payroll and retirement that allowed the town to exist. It's sad but there's still two sides to the coin. Progress isn't always kind,
companies are in China because Americans buy their cheap goods. If we'd demanded quiality instead of price Wal-Mart never would have
taken off, No one is forcing you to drive by the little guy downtown to go to Wal-Mart, you're (and not everyone) going to WEally World for the
cheap.

Out 

Date: 05/20/20 15:29
Author: Goalieman

Agreed - BUT - this ultimately revolves around corporate responsibility and union responsibility. If corporations will simply pay every employee what their position is worth and unions will not demand exorbitant pay for low wage positions, we can all thrive at “American Pricing”. As soon as one or the other get greedy - the shows over. EVERYONE from the newest employee to the CEO has to work together and commit to this idea or we’ll forever be faced with what you’re describing.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/20/20 21:09
Author: KMiddlebrook

junctiontower Wrote:
> The story of big business.  Milk a local
> community for all it's worth and then throw it
> away like yesterday's garbage.  In many cases,
> these towns and cities help MAKE these companies,
> and then get treated like something you stepped in
> when they aren't hip and cool enough to satisfy
> the jackasses in the upper levels of the
> management team.

The Roanoke Times editors did a nice job outlining the background on the shop closure.   Basically, 100+ years ago, locations were determined by a geographic need such as natural resources and immovable assets.  That is no longer the case in today's "new economy" where availability of skilled labor is the determining factor.    Highly recommend reading the editorial and think of the dozens if not hundreds of communities that face a similar situation.  Roanoke is not unique.

https://www.roanoke.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-end-of-an-era-for-roanoke/article_545bb9de-39d0-59e8-b052-782ad0a81dd2.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/20 21:10 by KMiddlebrook.

Date: 05/21/20 04:35

KMiddlebrook Wrote:
> junctiontower Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The story of big business.  Milk a local
> > community for all it's worth and then throw it
> > away like yesterday's garbage.  In many cases,
> > these towns and cities help MAKE these
> companies,
> > and then get treated like something you stepped
> in
> > when they aren't hip and cool enough to satisfy
> > the jackasses in the upper levels of the
> > management team.
>
> The Roanoke Times editors did a nice job outlining
> the background on the shop closure.   Basically,
> 100+ years ago, locations were determined by a
> geographic need such as natural resources and
> immovable assets.  That is no longer the case in
> today's "new economy" where availability of
> skilled labor is the determining factor.  
>  Highly recommend reading the editorial and think
> of the dozens if not hundreds of communities that
> face a similar situation.  Roanoke is not
> unique.
>
> https://www.roanoke.com/opinion/editorials/editori
> al-end-of-an-era-for-roanoke/article_545bb9de-39d0
> -59e8-b052-782ad0a81dd2.html

Thanks, I agree with your assessment, and appreciate you actually reading the editorial.
Many communities in Appalachia will face this same dilemma soon, and not all will be saved.

Date: 05/21/20 04:41

As far as 2156 goes, TRAINS Editor Jim Wrinn devoted a Train of Thought column to the situation, and has established his position that 2156 should stay in Roanoke.
Reader James E. Pack submitted this suggestion for a bumper sticker.
There seems to be ineffective leadership at the Roanoke museum at present, and obstinate leaders at the Missouri museum.
Perhaps the Roanoke group should enlist some "heavy hitters" and make a stronger offer.

Date: 05/21/20 07:48
Author: nycman

We will still have these guys to entertain us in Roanoke.  Wait, coronavirus has stopped the season. 

Date: 05/21/20 08:46
Author: rbenko

Goalieman Wrote:
> ... this ultimately revolves around
> corporate responsibility and union responsibility.
> If corporations will simply pay every employee
> what their position is worth and unions will not
> demand exorbitant pay for low wage positions, we
> can all thrive at “American Pricing”. 

Would that it were so simple (anyone see the movie "Hail Caesar"?)  - WHO exactly determines what an employee is "worth"?  It actually would be simple if the answer was "the free market" - you're worth as much as someone is willing to pay you for your services.  If you think you're worth more, you don't work with that someone.  It becomes a bit muddier when government regulations and union rules start getting involved.  However, I'm sure many here on TO would vehemently disagree with me.

Excellent editorial in the Roanoke Times - gets to the heart of the issue without overly politicizing it - well worth a read.  Also, many fine photos at the end!

Date: 05/22/20 18:29
Author: ProAmtrak

Sad to here this, glad I took shots of her in the collection 3 years ago!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/23/20 06:00
Author: i64west

I would assume the 2156 move would be a long ways off given low priority in the current economic state?

Date: 05/24/20 13:32
Author: ts1457

I thought they would make a deal. They didn't reach one almost forty years ago, and apparently not this time either.

Date: 05/24/20 14:51
Author: EMD2024

If it wasn't for the NMOT's efforts to preserve a N&W locomotive back in the 1950's, the 2156 would likely have been scrapped. Back then the museum was headed by Dr. John P. Roberts and Arthur K. Atkinson who was the president of the Wabash Railroad at the time. Without their efforts, we would not have a NKP Hudson, a NYC Mowhawk, the Perdue University collection or literally dozens of other examples of the steam era. First come, first served. They came together as a group that scraped together enough cash to purchase a C&NW Atlantic as their first acquisition. At the time the C&NW 1015 cost them a grand total of $600.00.
I gave quite a few years to the place as both a volunteer and employee so yes, I'm a bit biased.

MWPerkins
Former SL-SF 1522 grunt...Hi Don!

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/20 18:59 by EMD2024.

Date: 05/24/20 20:04
Author: ts1457

EMD2024 Wrote:
> If it wasn't for the NMOT's efforts to preserve a
> N&W locomotive back in the 1950's, the 2156 would
> likely have been scrapped.

Glad St. Louis did what it did. 

Unfortunately, Roanoke did not act to get the last Y's out of the scrap yard in the mid-1970s. I remember the day they got cut up.

Date: 05/26/20 13:08
Author: steam1246

Interesting question?  About fiveyears ago, when the swap/loan between Roanoke and St. Louis was negotiated, Wick Moorman was at the helm of NS and very supportive of the five year "swap".  Obviously, NS made the exchange happen without a lot of BS surrounding the equipment moves.  Now, Wick is no longer in the picture and NS has a "No Free Moves" policy.  Is there anything in the loan agreement that provides for return transportation?  Could be an expensive issue for the museums involved if there isn't.

Date: 05/27/20 16:04
Author: unseenthings

Reported on Facebook to have moved to Shaffer's locomotive shop in Roanoke, VA for inspection last week, and back to VMT this week?

"No confirmed reports as to when it will depart at this time, however NS 7030 and a single coach ran to Roanoke 5/26 symboled as NS 956, this move is speculated to be in preparation to move 2156 in the very near future"

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.075 seconds