Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Steam & Excursion > AT&SF 4-8-4 #3759 live in '55

Date: 05/20/20 08:21
AT&SF 4-8-4 #3759 live in '55
Author: valmont

ATSF 4-8-4 #3759 @ Barstow on fan trip, LA to Barstow and back, date may be 2/6/55 .... best info I could find, corrections welcome. No photographer noted.

Date: 05/20/20 12:20
Re: AT&SF 4-8-4 #3759 live in '55
Author: SGillings

That was Santa Fe's farewell to steam in southern California.  The trip is on Youtube.

Steve

Date: 05/20/20 15:18
Author: Goalieman

Those are some of the finest looking northern’s to ever drive the rails. Thanks for posting!!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/20/20 16:17
Author: HotWater

Goalieman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are some of the finest looking northern’s
> to ever drive the rails. Thanks for posting!!

"drive the rails"???????????

Date: 05/20/20 16:50
Author: Goalieman

Yup - “drive the rails”. While the crew rode the rails, the engine was ultimately driven. Too fast = derail. Too slow = behind schedule. I realize I’ve used unconventional railroad terms, but it’s okay. Relax Jack. Like it or not, YOU’RE A LEGEND among us lowly rail fans. I’ve admired you from the Freedom Train days, the NKP 765 rebirth and beyond. In fact, I’ve know of YOU and made a mental note of you since the first vinyl 33 1/3 record my parents bought my brother and I in 1977. So please, enjoy your status and try to treat us with kid gloves. We mean no harm. While many posts may cause you to bristle, your reaction causes more of us to ask nothing at all. We appreciate you and your vast experience. Please give us the same respect. Again, we appreciate you. Hoping to post a video of NKP 765 with fewer whistle opportunities than naught for your approval. It will be a pacing video. Will be looking for your approval.

With GREAT, SINCERE respect,
Mark David Vandre
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/21/20 01:37
Author: Evan_Werkema

valmont Wrote:

> ATSF 4-8-4 #3759 @ Barstow on fan trip, LA to
> Barstow and back, date may be 2/6/55 .... best
> info I could find, corrections welcome. No
> photographer noted.

That appears to be a dupe of a Stan Kistler slide.  The scene captured in the original slide is somewhat wider, particularly on the left side, but the position of the locomotive and the shape of the steam plume are identical, so I'm confident it is Stan's.  The Railway Club of Southern California was the sponsoring organization for the excursion, and you have the correct date.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds