Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Steam & Excursion > Glendale memories part two

Date: 05/20/20 14:58
Glendale memories part two
Author: masterphots

Another daily occurrance at Glendale station was the Glendale switcher.  Here are a couple of shots of SP 2-8-0 2547.  The first is leaving Glendale station.  possibly crossing Los Feliz Blvd.  The water tower belonged to the L.A, Basket Co, and was a bit west of Los Feliz Blvd.

The second shot is of the same train with one of the Glendale station light poles in the background.

No info on the slide mounts, so no date or photographer name.  I'd guess these were taken 1951-53,  as this operation was dieselized by Baldwin VO diesels in late 1953

Date: 05/20/20 15:24
Re: Glendale memories part two
Author: Keystone1

Nice....there is nothing like seeing regular service.

Date: 05/20/20 16:00
Author: masterphots

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice....there is nothing like seeing regular
> service.

Sometimes we got to ride around in the cab while they switched the Glendale station team track.  Christmas season, the two tracks would be full of box cars stuffed with mail bags.  When I worked nights at the post office in my university years later I'd go down there with a truck and pick up the bags to take back to the main post office in Glendale.  I also got to drive primary-sorted mail to LAUPT to put on the Super Chief.  That mail went as far as Albuquerque and the RPO guys would do final sort,  dropping off mail en route at various stations.    Once in awhile sombody would get mad about something and dump some Burbank mail bundles into an ABQ bag.  Note:  Burbank P.O.  is seven miles from Glendale P.O..  Great college jobs,  paid $2.38/hour which was big-time money in 1960-64.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/20 15:31 by masterphots.

Date: 05/20/20 17:34
Author: refarkas

Photo two even caught a brakeman walking the roof of a boxcar. These are true photographic time travel.
Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/20 17:34 by refarkas.

Date: 05/20/20 18:18
Author: agentatascadero

What's the story with those empty numberboards?  On the friendly SP, I think this would "indicate" not a train.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/20/20 19:20
Author: BCHellman

agentatascadero Wrote:
> What's the story with those empty numberboards? 

I don't think it's empty. I think the sun angle is providing extreme reflection. Indicators were taken seriously and had to be displayed properly.

Date: 05/20/20 19:24
Author: Frisco1522

I can imagine how excited I would be finding slides of my old train watching territory.  MP at Maplewood, MO and Frisco at Shrewsbury, MO.  Spent a lot of my young years hanging around these places until the diesels took over.

Date: 05/20/20 20:39
Author: cewherry

BCHellman Wrote:
> agentatascadero Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What's the story with those empty
> numberboards? 
>
> I don't think it's empty. I think the sun angle is
> providing extreme reflection. Indicators were
> taken seriously and had to be displayed properly.

Yes, they had to be displayed properly, when required. But in this case indicators were not required or even allowed.
Reason: He is operating in Rule 93 territory and actually has no train order or schedule authority that requires their display.

Charlie

Date: 05/21/20 00:03
Author: johnsweetser

cewherry wrote:

> But in this case indicators were not required or even allowed. Reason: He is operating in Rule 93 territory ...

In other words, the engine is operating within yard limits (a 1964 Los Angeles Division Special Instructions indicated yard limits started at Burbank Jct. going railroad east. It was probably similar in the 1950s).

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/20 00:06 by johnsweetser.

Date: 05/22/20 06:36
Author: Searat

refarkas Wrote:
> Photo two even caught a brakeman walking the roof
> of a boxcar. These are true photographic time
> travel.
> Bob
We had a switchman in Watsonville, Bob, who always 'ran the tops' when spotting reefers on the town job.  As an engineer, I appreciated how easy it was to see his handsigns, as he never got out of sight on what would be a blind shove otherwise.  Although it always made me  cautious about causing any sudden slack changes.  I don't remember exactly when that practice was outlawed in the rules, but I know it continued for some trainmen long after it was proscribed.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/20 06:51 by Searat.

Date: 05/22/20 13:58
Author: agentatascadero

johnsweetser Wrote:
> cewherry wrote:
>
> > But in this case indicators were not required or
> even allowed. Reason: He is operating in Rule 93
> territory ...
>
> In other words, the engine is operating within
> yard limits (a 1964 Los Angeles Division Special
> Instructions indicated yard limits started at
> Burbank Jct. going railroad east. It was probably
> similar in the 1950s).
>
> Posted from iPhone

Thanks, John and Charlie, for the clarification.  It was hard for me to conceive of this location being yard territory, but it seemed there could be no other conclusion if those numberboards were, in fact, empty.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds