Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Steam & Excursion > Roanoke Times long photorama of N&W Shop being closed

Date: 05/23/20 12:57
Roanoke Times long photorama of N&W Shop being closed
Author: PlyWoody

https://www.roanoke.com/gallery/photos-glimpses-of-roanokes-railroad-heritage-from-the-n-w-to-norfolk-southern/collection_04d5c73b-4399-5375-b2b3-5dfb5e377d50.html

Check out the second photo as it looks to be C&O #2704.  Did C&O ever interchange at Roanoke. VA?  But that looks like Clifton Forge, Va.  The newspaper file needs some sorting after all these years. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/20 03:49 by PlyWoody.

Date: 05/23/20 14:17
Re: Roanoke Times long photorama of N&W Shop being closed
Author: ts1457

PlyWoody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the second photo as it looks to be C&O
> #2704 Greenbrier.  Did C&O ever interchange at
> Roanoke. VA?  But that looks like Clifton Forge,
> Va.  The newspaper file needs some sorting after
> all these years. 

I think you are right about the C&O picture. At first I thought  the photographer may have caught a rare detouring train, but it did not take to long to figure out that the location was not Roanoke.

Some great pictures, though. Worth taking a look.

Date: 05/23/20 15:39
Author: sgriggs

It looks like there are photos of a J class and an A class being built in the erecting shop.

Date: 05/23/20 18:37
Author: gregscholl

Yes the Chesapeake & Ohio engine is a 2-8-4 #2704, which could be at Russell, KY, Silver Grove, KY, or a number of other locations.
The one engines looks to be a J under construction, and the other is a class A 2-6-6-4 as you guys have pointed out. As a little boy I got to see and ride behind a Class A, Class Y, Class J and a pair of 4-6-2's, among others.  
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

PS In 2016 I got some video of 611 passing the shops one day headed to Lynchburg.

Date: 05/24/20 06:49
Author: Rivannaco

The second photo sure does not look N&W'ish...C&O style coal tipple, flat land, appears to be a river in the distant, so figured it's Stevens Yard/Silver Grove.

So did a little research and found same photo in the COHS archives under #CSPR-1091 (sorry cannot link) with notation of "C&O K-4 #2704 with manifest #90, The Expediter, leaving Stevens". 

Date: 05/24/20 08:04
Author: gregscholl

Rivannaco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The second photo sure does not look N&W'ish...C&O
> style coal tipple, flat land, appears to be a
> river in the distant, so figured it's Stevens
> Yard/Silver Grove.
>
> So did a little research and found same photo in
> the COHS archives under #CSPR-1091 (sorry cannot
> link) with notation of "C&O K-4 #2704 with
> manifest #90, The Expediter, leaving Stevens". 

I said Silver Grove, cause thats the town where Stevens Yard is!  It is also the location where Ross Rowland's ex Reading, ex Chessie Steam Special 4-8-4 number 2101 burned in the roundhouse in March of 1979.  I went down there the next day and got some stills.  I had shot some stills and movies the November in 1978 when it ran from Columbus to Russell and into Stevens Yard(Silver Grove), which turned out to be the last day it ever ran!  Just when we thought we might have a local engine, the fire took care of that!!!  We did a video called "The 2101 Story" that has this and other stuff in it.
Greg Scholl
Photos on the cover below are as follows.
Top.  Departing Maysville, KY going under the bridge across the Ohio to Aberdeen, Ohio, excursion from Cincinnati to Ashland, KY and return
Bottom: Early morning Huntington to Hinton trip about to go under I-64 near Milton, WV.
http://www.gregschollvideo.com/images/2101.jpg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds