Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Steam & Excursion > Anything is possible

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 05/25/20 17:24
Anything is possible
Author: Frisco1522

From a usually reliable source who wishes to remain anonymous comes a different slant on things.
The word is that the folks in Cheyenne are getting ready to send the 2-10-2 No. 5511 to a new home.  I think that's fairly old news, but now I've heard that they are preparing it cosmetically AND mechanically to go to her new home under steam.   FRA waiver applied for to cover the boiler time and the running gear is getting a going over.
That should be quite a sight as she is equipped with Young valve gear.  I'm sure the speed will be kept to a safe level.   Most likely will happen when all these damned Covid complications are gone.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Date: 05/25/20 17:42
Re: Anything is possible
Author: callum_out

Assume t's going a few miles West to a gorgeous new home.

Out 

Date: 05/25/20 17:56
Author: Txhighballer

Wouldn't "under steam" mean that it was getting a 1472? 

Date: 05/25/20 18:07
Author: HotWater

Txhighballer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wouldn't "under steam" mean that it was getting a
> 1472? 

That will surely be interesting since both piston rods were torched.

Date: 05/25/20 18:53
Author: bankshotone

A little late for an April folls joke...

Posted from Android

Date: 05/25/20 19:17
Author: Bob3985

Jack's right as both pistons were torched, I believe, to move it to Cheyenne. It could be moved after servicing it without steam.
I have heard rumors too.  

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/25/20 20:14
Author: Frisco1522

New piston rods could easily be made.  Could be interesting.  As for the 1472, FRA is considering a waiver from what I was told.

Date: 05/25/20 20:23
Author: ts1457

Sounds like more risk than the legal department could stand.

Date: 05/25/20 20:55
Author: MILW16

When was it last under steam?

Date: 05/25/20 21:05
Author: A-1

There's been a rumor about it going(most likely) to Evanston for display for a while. As for it being under steam for the move, I extremely doubt that. Is a waiver for something like that even possible?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/25/20 21:25
Author: MJV1988

LOL now this is funny!! Is UP paying for this too and with what money??? The thing hasn't run under it's own power since at least 1957/58 I'm guessing. While it would be nice to have the extra space in the roundhouse, the internals have to be seriously corroded, completely worn/rusted out and or gone since it was towed to Cheyenne in '68. What's next? 611 towing 2156 back to St. Louis!?!?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/20 09:49
5511 Service
Author: Lightning_Slinger

5511 was vacated from the roster July 1962 at Cheyenne. It had been used as a stationary steam source (Sinclair? Green River?) before being towed dead back to Cheyenne. It was not under steam during the production of "Last of the Giants" in 1958.

MILW16 Wrote:
> When was it last under steam?

Date: 05/26/20 11:11
Author: heatermason

For the sake of discussion a couple of pictures.  It's actually in very good shape all things considered, but it seems getting it into shape to tow as is would be a lot easier than trying to steam it.  I watch with interest!

Date: 05/26/20 11:13
Author: bankshotone

What are they gonna do put 25 lbs of steam in it and push it with a diesel?? I get its only 360 miles but I can't see this happening.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/20 11:33
Author: MJV1988

I know 3985 has used parts off of her along with 844 I'm sure. I don't know when it was moved into the roundhouse but it has been in there since the mid 70's at least. I'm very curious to see how this would actually happen. I just can't see it operating unless it's like 4014 where they have air lines so they can blow the whistle (if it still has one?) or bell. Bob, Jack, or someone from the old crew has to have pictures of the inside of this?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/20 11:37
Author: flash34

Don, I think your mask is on too tight.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/26/20 13:06
Author: callum_out

Of course it's a partial resto and under steam, after all have to keep the steam shop going,

Out
PS - And people accuse me of sarcasm!

Date: 05/26/20 14:00
Author: webmaster

Some months back I received a call from Ed to complain about something on the forums.  During our conversation he told me the company wants to divest itself of surplus equipment that will not be rebuilt. Perhaps this is part of that purge.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 05/26/20 15:57
Author: Spoony81

webmaster Wrote:
> Some months back I received a call from Ed to
> complain about something on the forums.  During
> our conversation he told me the company wants to
> divest itself of surplus equipment that will not
> be rebuilt. Perhaps this is part of that purge.
>
>  

Lol

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/26/20 16:20
Author: HotWater

webmaster Wrote:
> Some months back I received a call from Ed to
> complain about something on the forums.  During
> our conversation he told me the company wants to
> divest itself of surplus equipment that will not
> be rebuilt. Perhaps this is part of that purge.

Well, truth be told the "purge" has been going on since January 2012! He will not rest until ANYTHING and EVERYTHING related to the previous program is gone, GONE, GONE!!!

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds