Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Steam & Excursion > C.G. Heimerdinger Jr.

Date: 05/29/20 22:21
C.G. Heimerdinger Jr.
Author: cc51

the sad news that C.G. "Charlie" Heimerdinger, one of the founders of the Pacific Locomotive Association, has passed away just reached me. He was PLA's president when I was the vice president. He was instrumental in the groups early growth and a great leader. He was also an accomplished photographer. In honor of Charlie here is a photo taken of an operation at Castro Point  with ex-Pickering Lumber #5 and ex-California Western M-200. Those in this group photo are (L to R): Frank Fontes, Pete Rogers, Ben Reilly, Chris Collins, Warren Smith, C.G. Heimerdinger Jr., Randy Calish, Charles Blake and George Childs.   Taken at the "Interchange" at Castro Point. RIP Charlie-Chris Collins

Date: 05/29/20 22:52
Re: C.G. Heimerdinger Jr.
Author: FiveChime

Very knowlegable fellow on all aspects of railroading and excellent model railroader.
Now all three key founding members of PLA have passed. Henry Luna, Karl Koenig, and now. CG Heimerdinger Jr.
Regards, Jim Evans, Pacific Locomotive Association 1968

Date: 05/30/20 03:03
Author: LoggerHogger

I got the news of Chuck's passing a few days ago from Tom Gildersleeve.  This was sad to hear.

Chuck had come on several of my charters over the years.  I recall a memorable Winter trip on the McCloud that Malen Johnson and I ran #25 to Burney and back.  We got in late at night in a falling snow.  Chuck had some interesting comments on whether his watch was working or not.  He of course was talking about our hours of service.

Chuck will be missed.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/20 08:48 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 05/30/20 08:18
Author: wharfrat

Charlie was one of a kind, a major player in early PLA times. Here he is working on SP139 at Castro Point not long after it arrived in the mid  70's.

Date: 05/30/20 11:08
Author: 28hogger

Thanks Chris for posting this tribute to Charlie. I first met Chuck in 1970 when I joined the PLA. I found out he lived only a few miles from where I lived in Castro Valley, and from that point on we became friends. When I qualified as a brakeman on the Casro Point he gave me one of the best compliment a young railroad enthusiast could ever get...."I've seen a lot of wannabes railroaders but you are a true railroader". Rip Chuck. 
Warren Smith

Date: 05/30/20 13:20
Author: ChrisCampi

Charlie also qualified me on the M200. He didn't pull to many punches and could be a bit gruff at times (often with tounge in cheek) but I respected him for it and enjoyed his company. He was a good guy to have around and will be missed,

Chris

Date: 05/30/20 13:34
Author: Westbound

Charles began his railroad career right after high school. Although a native Californian, he first worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad as a towerman. Left that job for college and then joined the Southern Pacific as a locomotive fireman, although far too late for steam. He retired as a Special Assistant in San Francisco in SP’s Law Dept where he used his very remarkable skills digging out history that had been thought long lost to years past, while working on the defense of litigation. 

He was a skilled railroad photographer. I had long hoped and encouraged him to prepare and publish a book but his other interests took precedence. As a fellow Christian as well as a former co-worker, I know he was well prepared for leaving this life. Regardless, he will be missed. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds