Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Steam & Excursion > Looking for steam train trips in PA

Date: 06/23/20 20:18
Looking for steam train trips in PA
Author: P

Looking to spend the long July 4th weekend in central/eastern PA or potentially somewhere south of there.  I'd like to catch some operating steam, or some kind of train ride, but I could not believe Steamtown is closed for the entire summer.  WTH?   Western Maryland Scenic - same thing.

Is there anything in that part of the country that will be open/operating on July 4th weekend?  I have heard WV may have some options.  Anything else?  

Date: 06/23/20 20:31
Re: Looking for steam train trips in PA
Author: bigmc83

Strasburg is re-opening at the end of June, but you need to purchase your tickets in advance.  It's not operating at all, but the EBT might be worth checking out with all the PR buzz happening lately.

-Sean

Date: 06/23/20 23:06
Author: jethat

bigmc83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Strasburg ishould be on anyrail fans buckt list.. Its worth the visit to PA all vi itself

Date: 06/24/20 03:44
Author: 2839Canadian

EBT will celebrate the 60th anniversary of their being reborn as a heritage line August 13-15, 2020.  Short trips will be made with diesels, not steam.  They are working on their narrow gauge 2-8-2 No. 16, and expect to restore it back to service in 2021.

Date: 06/24/20 05:43
Author: co614

The NH&I RR ( www.newhoperailroad.com) will be reopening effective Sat. July 4th. but will be diesel only. I think the only steam you'll find is at Strasburg??

Ross Rowland 

Date: 06/24/20 06:11

jethat Wrote:
> bigmc83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Strasburg ishould be on anyrail fans buckt
> list.. Its worth the visit to PA all vi itself

Its an option and about the farthest east I'd want to go. Unfortunately the railroad museum across the street still appears to be closed. I didn't inquire about Choo Choo barn.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/24/20 06:39
Author: Tyler4steam

Not PA, but if you're in the region, we are running steam in Nelsonville, OH on the Hocking Valley Scenic.  Trips will be pulled by steam this weekend, as well as July 11-12 & 25-26.  Of course we are following COVID guidlines, along with an approved plan of operation with the local health department. Tickets and info at the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway website.

Tyler

J. Pack photo, with permission

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/20 06:41 by Tyler4steam.

Date: 06/24/20 11:23
Author: milwrdfan

Although south of PA, Cass Scenic / Durbin Greenbrier are running this summer down in WV, starting July 4th, albiet on a limited schedule compared to their usual summer seasons.  https://mountainrailwv.com

Date: 06/24/20 18:12

Tyler4steam Wrote:
> Not PA, but if you're in the region, we are
> running steam in Nelsonville, OH on the Hocking
> Valley Scenic.  Trips will be pulled by steam
> this weekend, as well as July 11-12 & 25-26.  Of
> course we are following COVID guidlines, along
> with an approved plan of operation with the local
> health department. Tickets and info at
> the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway website.
>
> Tyler
>
> J. Pack photo, with permission

Thanks for this.  This is somewhat close to home, so out of the question for July 4th when we are traveling, but something to consider at a later date.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds