Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Famous Photo Spot For This Railroad,But Never From This Angle!

Date: 07/27/20 04:17
A Famous Photo Spot For This Railroad,But Never From This Angle!
Author: LoggerHogger

Over the years I have seen literally thousands of photos of the West Side Lumber Co. of Tuolumne, California.  This happens to be one of my favorite railroads.  For this reason, coming across an entirely new photo of this line is something special.

Many, many photographers that visited the West Side took photos in the few miles out of town between Tuolumne and Camp 8.  This area was somewhat accessible by car and could be easily followed.  It got much more difficult to get shots of the trains above Camp 8 as the tracks were rarely crossed by roads.

One of the most common spot to shoot the log trains was at a spot called "Flume".  I has that name because a water flume crossed over the tracks here.  It was at this spot that the mill-bound log trains would stop and perform an air test before descending the last few miles into the mill.  All the photos that I have seen taken here were of the stopped log trains on their way into town.  That is, until I came across this photo!

Here we have an excellent view captured from the Flume crossing but this time the photographer has caught the morning train headed by Shay #9 as it works upgrade with it's empty log cars headed for the woods.  This is an excellent view showing one of the few stretches of tangent track on all of the West Side.

Seeing this fine photo, makes me wonder why more were not taken here lookinjg this direction.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/20 06:56 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/27/20 11:02
Re: A Famous Photo Spot For This Railroad,But Never From This Ang
Author: callum_out

Obvious Photoshop, West Side didn't have that much staight track! As for Flume, most exciting part of the trip for
miles due to the grade, after that, nap time for quite a ways.

Out 

Date: 07/27/20 17:15
Re: A Famous Photo Spot For This Railroad,But Never From This Ang
Author: DKay

Beautiful stuff Martin.I love exploring out there.Came across this photo of the flume site today.Stephen Cope photo(I think )...
Regards,DK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/20 17:20 by DKay.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.064 seconds