Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Steam & Excursion > Georgia State RR Museum in Savannah

Date: 07/28/20 15:45
Georgia State RR Museum in Savannah
Author: 2839Canadian

When this museum is operating under normal conditions, do they run trains around in the yard?  Their postcards show a steam train with a tank engine pulling a train full of passengers.

Thanks in advance

Date: 07/28/20 18:49
Re: Georgia State RR Museum in Savannah
Author: tonymarchiando

I was there in April 2018 and was surprised to see live steam.   An ex-power company 0-4-0T and open coach.  Short ride around the yard including an interesting ride on the turntable.   Nice roundhouse with several display locomotives and cars.  Overall nice rail museum.
Tony

Date: 07/28/20 19:20
Author: Trainhand

I don't think running anything right now. The 0-4-0 was taken apart for a 1472 (I think)day at the end of last summer, and was being done in house. It was in the process of being reassembled and Covid-19 hit.Museum closed for about 2 months, and now has funding problems from city of Savannah. I don't know how much of the staff is still working. I called the manager about a month ago to offer coal shoveling services, and he said they were about broke and #30 was not put back together.
But when it all is working, it is a pretty nice museum.

Sam 

Date: 07/29/20 11:51
Author: 1019X

When I was there a year ago they were using a GE 44 Ton switcher for their short train ride.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds