Home Open Account Help 183 users online

Steam & Excursion > Gorham, KS Has The Best Phone Directory Cover Ever!

Date: 08/02/20 15:32
Gorham, KS Has The Best Phone Directory Cover Ever!
Author: billywa

So, to spare you all from a long, drawn out story, today I stumbled up on the phone directory of the local telephone/broadband provider in Gorham, KS and the surrounding area (Gorham Tel-Com). I note that here, because the cover of that directory features a shot of the UP Big Boy during, what I'm gonna assume, was the 4014's trip along the KP last fall (where it went through Gorham). While one could argue it's not that great of a shot by the photographic standards established here, and I am certainly biased, for my money it's still one of the better phone book covers I've ever seen!

Gorham Tel-Com Directory

https://gorhamtel.com/18/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/0039_12102019_Directory-Interior_11060_rt_web.pdf

billywa

Date: 08/02/20 15:55
Re: Gorham, KS Has The Best Phone Directory Cover Ever!
Author: PHall

A printed phone directory? How 20th century of them.

Date: 08/02/20 16:42
Author: Goalieman

NAILED IT! While it great that UP 4014 is featured, I haven’t seen a phone book in years!!!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/20 19:12
Author: jcaestecker

Old school.  LOVE IT!!!

-John

Date: 08/02/20 20:21
Author: rrman6

jcaestecker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old school.  LOVE IT!!!
>
> -John

And in God's country, far from the anarchists of Portland, OR and elsewhere nowadays!

Date: 08/04/20 18:30
Author: classiclights

Back in 1995, a few years before digital imaging & .pdf files became mainstream another small town print directory appeared when the Highland Telephone Co-op., Inc. out of Sunbright, TN printed their annual phone directory. This approximate 320 page 8"x9" soft-cover book had a picture of N&W #611 on the cover taken on October 22, 1988 about two miles south of Oneida, TN. In this scene, #611 was  passing what was known as Lake Elizabeth (subsequently renamed Ponderosa Lake). This was photographed from a helicopter near what is now the U.S. 27 overpass which did not exist at the time.

I not only had the pleasure of taking this photograph, but received my copy of the directory from Bob Saxtan & Cheri George who spotted it at a local business in nearby Helenwood, TN the year the book was published. As some of you may know, Saxtan & George were & remain involved with the promotion & operation of #611 to this day.

Bob Lyndall

Date: 08/05/20 14:23
Author: Cumbresfan

Finally! An answer to the the often asked question: Where's Waldo?!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds