Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Horseshoe Curve Special - Sept 1970 - NKP 759

Date: 09/08/20 18:38
The Horseshoe Curve Special - Sept 1970 - NKP 759
Author: rkennedy2

Much of this summer's weekends we've been cleaning out my parents home of 60+ years.  The slides from this trip, and others have been a bonus and a bright spot.  Sorry for the quality.  They've been in the back of a closet for 45 years.  To all of the High Iron Company folks who organized, financed, planned and executed this trip and others, a big thanks from a then ten year old kid witnessing history.  
First, scan of the cover of program. Second the engine in Harrisburg PA awaiting departure.  Third, first photo run-by of the day.  This is on the Middle Division somewhere west of Duncannon.  Other may know.  

Date: 09/08/20 18:41
Re: The Horseshoe Curve Special - Sept 1970 - NKP 759

Observation car "Brothers Two" brought up the rear.  This was at the same morning runby.

Second Runby at Gallitzen, and then back aboard the train.

Date: 09/08/20 18:43

Downhill.  Back around the Curve.  Passing 1361 and fans.  Looking back along the train.

Date: 09/08/20 18:48

Rolling along the Middle Division eastbound we somehow "invited ouselves" into the private car on the rear.  Everyone welcomed us.  As a 10 year old kid on the rear platform I do remember hanging on for dear life.  
Overtaking a PC Freight
Passing what appears to be Lewistown.

Have a safe week everyone.

Date: 09/08/20 19:10
Author: wcamp1472

Wonderful collection of very illustrative of the fun we spread....
I liked the crowds around the 1361...
I love how you captured the spirit and what was important to you at 10.

Thanks so much!!

Wes Camp

( THAT'S why you "put up three safeties"  --- going around the crowd...  
Everybody viscerally 'gets'  what safety valves are for, and if open,  & what that means
Just the way that they 'get' the ways that the rods and drive wheels all work together ...).

Date: 09/08/20 19:20

Thanks for all the hard work.  Wish I had pictures of us going up over the curve.  But as I recall everyones faces were plastered against the window glass and Dad couldn't manage any kind of shot.  Dad being a native of Philly he had to use his most persuasive "addytude" to finally get some dutch door time.  
But you could hear her, even back where we were.

Date: 09/08/20 20:11
Author: Rdg170

The first runby, as I recall, was at Thompsontown (I chased Saturday and rode Sunday). The second runby was at Spruce Creek tunnel.

Doug Rowland
Philadelphia, PA

Date: 09/08/20 20:14
Author: RuleG

rkennedy2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Passing what appears to be Lewistown.
>
Yes, that's Lewistown.

Thanks for posting these photos.

Date: 09/08/20 20:22

I remember Dad explaining super-heated steam and Lima Superpower to me and how advanced steam engines were by the '40's versus what I had seen earlier. 
But at ten years old, I think I problably asked what NYC&StL. meant.

Date: 09/09/20 06:01
Author: wcamp1472

How can it be?
50 years ago?

Its hard to believe that there are folks 50 years old.... that weren’t around when we conquered the
‘Curve —- unassisted!

I’m proudest of ALL the steam loco restorations that were inspired by
what Ross dared to accomplish..

Where would all the loco restoration
accomplishments be, if you ‘rewind’
before 1966, and take HICO out of the picture?

NONE of the “big engine” restorations that we have seen since, would have been a reality.
NONE !

It’s also astounding at the lives we
have changed and the bold actions that were taken from the dreams and musings of the young folks, long ago, that joined the LIVE steam engine ‘fan club.’

Take Ross’s assertive attitude and
Money out of the picture — and the
myriad of operating locos would be
still sitting, rusting away.

No Scranton, no AoS Roundhouse,
No running 759, no GSCL, no AFT,
No 4449, none of the other restorations —- none of all that we have now and have seen since
1968, would have existed or have been started.

The reality is that a little corner of the world has been ignited into a brilliant flame — for an incredibly
brief period... if you witnessed even
a tiny sliver of the thrills — you are incredibly blessed to have had that chance...

If you participated in the various restorations, you are part of a very few folks who have had that rare
Opportunity...

It started from an incredibly small team and an incredibly daring and capable leader.

We are all very lucky and blessed to have these experiences that have colored our short lives.

Thanks to all that supported and recorded those wonderful events, excursions and put in the hard works.. and that continue the
efforts ... as the dust of the past
begins to settle..

Wes Camp

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/20 06:02 by wcamp1472.

Date: 09/09/20 07:34
Author: co614

Thanks to Wes for his over the top compliments, but important to say that all our projects that succeeded did so thanks to a team ( motly unpaid volunteers) of dedicated men& women commited to doing all possible to produce a first class product to burnish steam's legacy. 

The 759 sure did steam proud those 2 days as she took a full tonnage train up the mountain without missing a beat.

Sure was nice to be able back then to do it in " full monty" style.

Ross Rowland 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0608 seconds