Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Steam & Excursion > NKP 765 - September 2019

Date: 09/14/20 14:30
NKP 765 - September 2019
Author: Goalieman

On September 18, 2019, NKP 765 departed the FWRHS shop near New Haven, Indiana bound for the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad.  This trip originally took place the previous day.  However, an overheated bearing on the newly roller bearing equipped trailing truck, forced her to return to the shop for repairs.  As a result, when this video was taken, the rear bearing lid on the engineer's side of the trailing truck was removed for easy access and one of the crew members was set to pace the locomotive into Ohio.  As they were preparing to depart, the pacing crew member asked if I wanted a good video.  After replying that I would, he said, "Tuck in behind me. I'll be along side all the way to Edgerton".  So, I set my iPhone on my shoulder and shot the attached videos "blind", without taking my eyes off of his tailgate, as we paced alongside.  Unfortunately, I was on my lunch hour and had to abandon the short train a few minutes into the trip at Highway 101.  Thankfully, the video came out pretty good considering the circumstances.

Due the size of the original file, I was forced to edit it into two separate videos.  Once upon a time, my editing skills, while mediocre, weren't embarrassing.  However, since Windows10 came along I'm lost.  So, accept my apologies for chopping this one in two with all of the delicate grace of a german jazz band.  Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy!

Mark V.
"The Fort" in Indiana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/20 14:39 by Goalieman.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/14/20 14:39
Re: NKP 765 - September 2019

Part 2

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/14/20 14:52
Author: ClubCar

Very nice video, brings back so many great memories of mainline steam.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 09/14/20 21:41
Author: UP951West

Enjoyed your 765 pacing video work. That's nice farm country . Thanks for sharing. 

Date: 09/15/20 12:21
Author: nycman

Mark, you did an excellent job with that pace.  Re your comment on Windows 10, I'm glad I'm using a Mac.

Date: 09/15/20 14:11
Author: jkh2cpu

Really nice video with the phone perched on your shoulder. 

Thanks for your lunch-hour time used to take this video :-)

John.

Date: 09/15/20 15:07

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice video, brings back so many great
> memories of mainline steam.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Thanks John!! I missed it so much this year. Looking forward to next year as well as the FWRHS Autumn Festival next month!!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/20 15:08

UP951West Wrote:
> Enjoyed your 765 pacing video work. That's nice
> farm country . Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you!!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/20 15:10

nycman Wrote:
> Mark, you did an excellent job with that pace. 
> Re your comment on Windows 10, I'm glad I'm using
> a Mac.

Thank you! My PC is getting up there. Plan on switching over to a MAC when it’s replaced. All my portable stuff is Apple, might as well make it a royal flush.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/20 15:12

jkh2cpu Wrote:
> Really nice video with the phone perched on your
> shoulder. 
>
> Thanks for your lunch-hour time used to take this
> video :-)
>
> John.

Thanks for the kind words John. A better way to spend a lunch hour has yet to be created!!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/20 16:40
Author: Rich_Melvin

Very nicely done!

I started editing video on a PC using Adobe Premiere. When HD video came on the scene, I switched to editing video on a MAC, using Final Cut Pro 7. Today it’s FCP X on the MAC. I could never go back to editing video on a PC with Premiere. 

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Date: 09/15/20 17:31

Rich_Melvin Wrote:
> Very nicely done!
>
> I started editing video on a PC using Adobe
> Premiere. When HD video came on the scene, I
> switched to editing video on a MAC, using Final
> Cut Pro 7. Today it’s FCP X on the MAC. I could
> never go back to editing video on a PC with
> Premiere. 

Thanks Mr. Melvin. Coming from you, that means a ton!! And . . . that cements it. Getting a MAC asap. Trying to edit that video on my once familiar PC made me feel like a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest. Ha!!??

I greatly appreciate your comment as it gives me the opportunity to publicly thank you for your book, “765 - A 21st Century Survivor”. WHAT A GREAT READ!!! I HEARTILY ENCOURAGE any one who reads this post to grab a copy of this book!!! FANTASTIC!!! I especially enjoyed the chapter based on the premise that the reader is an engineer on the NKP, heading east out of East Wayne Yard bound for Bellevue, Ohio with the famous CB-12. It actually gave me goose bumps. Frankly, IF I could strike a deal with the Lord on that great day, I’d beg him to let me go back in time and engineer that train in person in the exact same way. Such an incredibly well told story!! No detail spared. AMAZING!!

Finally, thanks Rich. Your years of volunteer service to the FWRHS and railfans countywide will NOT soon be forgotten. If there’s a “Mount Rushmore” of steam railroading, you’re on it in my book. YOU MADE ME VERY PROUD TO BE FROM “THE FORT”!!

Warmest Regards,
Mark V.
“The Fort” in Indiana

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0657 seconds