Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Steam & Excursion > Even Railroads Had To Follow Certain City Ordinances Like This!

Date: 09/16/20 03:00
Even Railroads Had To Follow Certain City Ordinances Like This!
Author: LoggerHogger

Yesterday there was a certain amount of interest in my posting of a Tidewater Southern train as it approached the town of Modesto, California.  There was mention of the town ordinance that prohibited steam locomotives from operating within the town itself given the smoke they put out.  I thought I would show what the result of that ordinance was in this photo of TS electric #100 leading TS #1 throught the area covered by that ordinance.

The steam crew for #1 seems to be taking a break and enjoying being towed along for now.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/20 04:06 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/16/20 03:58
Re: Even Railroads Had To Follow Certain City Ordinances Like Thi
Author: refarkas

A rare historic gem.
Bob

Date: 09/16/20 08:27
Author: PHall

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yesterday there was a certain amount of interest
> in my posting of a Tidewater Southern train as it
> approached the town of Modesto, California. 
> There was mention of the town ordinance that
> prohibited steam locomotives from operating within
> the town itself given the smoke they put out.  I
> thought I would show what the result of that
> ordinance was in this photo of TS electric #100
> leading TS #1 throught the area covered by that
> ordinance.
>
> The steam crew for #1 seems to be taking a break
> and enjoying being towed along for now.
>
> Martin

I don't believe that it was a "City Ordenance" that mandated electric power in town. It was a Franchise Condition IIRC.

Date: 09/16/20 10:17
Author: wjpyper

I would think that Federal Regulations would override any town ordinance or franchise condition like that.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 09/16/20 10:27
Author: TS735

Wonderfully historic view. Once again, your posts alone are worth the price of membership here.
This train is headed north after traversing the street trackage on 9th street in Modesto. They have traversed the S curve after that stretch and are a stones throw away from the spur where they will cut off the motor. That should be Virginia Ave. in the background. I’ve read an anecdotal story that in the end years of electric operation, motor #100 was so tired and underpowered that it was more or less just ceremonial that it got put on the point to pilot trains down the street trackage. Apparently the steam locomotive would do the actual work. Thanks for a wonderful post.

Ryan Barber
Stockton, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/20 10:28 by TS735.

Date: 09/16/20 10:47
Author: Arved

So how did the SP and ATSF comply with the ordinance?

How did the M&ET get away with operating steam locomotives?

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 09/16/20 11:54
Author: zephyrus

Arved Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So how did the SP and ATSF comply with the
> ordinance?
>
> How did the M&ET get away with operating steam
> locomotives?

It was a condition of the Tidewater's franchise to run down Ninth Street.  No steam locomotives on city streets.

Excellent shot!!

And I had a former TS employee confirm Ryan's story.  He ran a few trips down the TS at the end of electric operations.  TS 106 had already gone over to the SN and the 100 could barely move itself, so it was tacked on for show and the steamers provided the power.  Knowing diesels were on the way, everyone just kind of looked the other way and went through the motions.

Thank you Martin for more Tidewater!  Never get tired of seeing it.  Wishing for more: if you could just find a photo in Hilmar or on the original line into Stockton on the east side of the WP-SP yards???

Z

Date: 09/17/20 09:00
Author: Jsporseen

On page 63 of "The Milwaukee Road West" is a picture of Motor 10000 which went into service on seven miles of main and sidings in Great Fall, MT, in 1915 because the city would not allow coal fired locomotives in town. It lasted until 1937 when the city Okayed oil burners and the wires were torn out.  The 10000 sat around for two years and no buyer was found so it was scrapped.  I wonder why it wasn't used by the same railroad as a switcher somewhere on one of their two electrified divisions.  Maybe it's condition was poor but many of their box cabs lasted longer than 22 years.

At first I thought maybe it was some kind of test for the Montana electrification but found out that they got their idea from the Butte Anaconda and Pacific.

Date: 09/17/20 11:07
Author: LarryDoyle

The Milw 10000 was a 1500 volt machine, while the mainline electrification was 3000 volts.

-LD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0998 seconds