Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Steam & Excursion > How did tourist RRs do this summer?

Date: 09/23/20 08:21
How did tourist RRs do this summer?
Author: webmaster

How did the various tourist railroads do this summer?  It looked like a most of them operated in some capacity through the summer.  Was it as bleak as expected?  What are some of them planning for Halloween and Christmas this year? 

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 09/23/20 13:35
Re: How did tourist RRs do this summer?
Author: dougd

Had gift tickets to Charlie Russell Choo Choo, Lewistown, MT.  Season was delayed due to Chinese virus, then canceled when  caterer could not deliver meals

Date: 09/23/20 14:32
Author: SandingValve

Railtown 1897 State Historic Park has not hauled a single revenue passenger carrying train all season. As September draws to a close that leaves the month of October as the last month for the regular season which has been suspended since March of this year due to COVID19. It looks and sounds like there will not be any November trains scheduled for around the Thanksgiving weekend which in past years has been fairly well patroned. That weekend also typically kicks off the 'Polar Express' trains running from late November into early January. So far there has been no mention of Polar Express trains, nor has there been any tickets offered for sale which by this time would be either sold out or nearly sold out.

SV

Date: 09/23/20 15:36
Author: robj

With the helter-skelter travel restrictions I think it would be hard in some states to even try(ie new Mexico).  Black Hills Central is running in South Dakota - My wife was at Yellowstone and the NP's were busy after they opened, so I'd expect they did "OK?". 
A museum, not a "tourist railroad" but Illinois Railway Museum didn't open until September, attendance seemed modest but they are trying.

Bob Jordan

As an aside, Yellowstone had north of a million visitors, no park employees including my wife have tested positive, she interacted with thousands at the East Gate plus other emloyees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/20 15:44 by robj.

Date: 09/23/20 15:41
Author: EMDSW-1

Oregon Pacific waited until the first of August to begin running our excursion train out of the ORHF facility at East . We reduced to four trips and did all ticket sales through FareHarbor on line which has worked out well.

Patronage was limited to 82 seats over four cars which never approached capacity but did pay expenses. Oaks Park, at the south terminus of our trip, was not allowed to open due to Covid so our trips were "out and back"!

Dick Samuels

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/20 07:54 by EMDSW-1.

Date: 09/23/20 15:52
Author: Mudrock

Cumbres did well with its trips our of Antonio, Georgetown Loop did well and Black Hills Railroad, Heber Valley and Nenada Northern all did well. Sociol distancing and masks wee required on all train. The Skookum trip was the same way.

Chris

Date: 09/23/20 16:00
Author: jeffgeldner

I rode these tourist lines in order,enjoying all 3:

Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine RR- behind ex-West Side Lumber Shay #15
Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroads- behind the Dixiana Shay to Bear Mountain and behind diesel on the standard gauge train to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and return to Felton
Fillmore and Western from Fillmore to Santa Paula and return behind their Alco diesel

For all 3 of the above I rode in open air cars. All of the railroads required advance purchase, mask wearing, physical distancing and advanced purchase on line.

The Roaring Camp Railroads required filling out a signed statement that the passenger has not experienced COVID-19 symptoms or had contact with anyone who had COVID-19 recently (something we  use at my work place).

The Fillmore and Western only had a former baggage car selling snacks, beer and soft drinks on board (no souvenirs for sale). In the past one could purchase a full lunch in the diner. However, there was 1 1/2 layover in Santa Paula- plenty of time for lunch with dining on the patio at a number of restaurants downtown. The xlnt Union Oil Museum i still closed due to California's extra strict regulations.

Next on my list will be on the Grand Canyon Ry. on Friday 9/25/20- riding both ways in the open platform parlor observation car. I am riding Amtrak round-trip from Fresno to Flagstaff with a roomette both ways on the Southwest Chief. Up until COVID-19 one could ride the thruway shuttle to and from Williams. That service supposedly will restart in October (not sure how the contract operator can make a go of it with an Amtrak tri-weekly schedule.) So I am renting a car so I can get from Flagstaff to Williams. 

Date: 09/23/20 20:26
Author: SantaFe

The Midland Railway in Baldwin City, Ks is shut down due to COVID 19 and a dispute with the city and another nonprofit over lease of the depot.

We are storing 4 135 car coal train sets and 130 hicube boxcars for BNSF to pay the bills

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/23/20 20:55
Author: 4451Puff

While a bit unconventional, some tourist railroading I partook in was taking trips on my Fairmont Speeder over a couple railroads out here in the west, & got to raise funds for some great veterans charities in the process.

Desmond Praetzel, "4451 Puff"

Date: 09/23/20 23:41
Author: wpamtk

In the SF Bay Area, Niles Canyon ran two weekends in September and plans to run three weekends in October. However, no "Train of Lights" operations are planned for the Holidays.
The Western Railway Museum at Rio Vista Jct. remains completely closed, with no decision yet on reopening.
It appears that the Napa Valley Wine Train plans to begin service in October.
All subject to change, of course...

Date: 09/24/20 09:55
Author: P

The Whitewater Valley Railroad in Connersville, Indiana was not allowed to operate until the end of June. Trips began July 4th weekend. We are lucky to have a lot of capacity so on many trips, ridership immediately returned to normal, however, on trips that typically sell out, capacity was forced to cap at 50% and thus cut revenue in half for those trips. This will be a bigger factor on our holiday trips, both fall foliage trips and Christmas/Polar Express trips as capacity is expected to be forcefully limited through the end of the year.
We feel lucky to be able to carry out our mission, even if restricted, however because of the capacity restrictions, revenue will suffer.

Ridership and demand is there. Unfortunately, the government is hamstringing the ability to sell tickets to everyone who wants one.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/24/20 16:57
Author: gbmott

North Shore Scenic (LSMT) has been operating a reduced schedule since early summer.  Ridership certainly is down, though many trains are sold out, albeit  with reduced capacities.  Dinner trains have mostly been sold out, though with only half the seats available for sale.  Still profitable, just not so much so.  Foot traffic at the museum is down significantly, even with free admission.  Duluth also stores freight cars with the last coal set having departed just last week.  The museum and railroad have no debt and while survival is not an issue, discretionary expenses, including restoration projects, are being tightly controlled.  

Gordon

Date: 09/25/20 12:48
Author: Auburnrail

California State RR museum along with Jamestown 
remains completely closed including the important revenue 
generating Polar Express this year. No excursion train rides
on the levee either. No shops activity neither, since there is nothing to maintain.
George Andrassy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/20 12:50 by Auburnrail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0718 seconds