Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cumbres & Toltec First Day of October 2020

Date: 10/09/20 11:19
Cumbres & Toltec First Day of October 2020
Author: PennRailVideos

Oct. 1st, 2020. My friends and I chased (and got to ride the next day) of the coolest railroads we have ever been fortunate enough to visit. It is a time capsule with stunning vistas and beautifully maintained equipment.

K-36 class 2-8-2 Mikado #488 would be the power for today's trip to Osier. This locomotive was built in 1925 by Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, PA (where bad things happen) for the Rio Grande.
2. Just outside of Chama along Hwy 17, the 488 begins the assault up the mountain.
3. Along the line at a ranch that I guess doesn't take kindly to people trampling through their property to get their perfect shot.

Date: 10/09/20 11:37
Re: Cumbres & Toltec First Day of October 2020

4. Coxo, CO.
5. At the top of the grade at Cumbres Pass, elevation 10,015 feet.
6. Coming downgrade now near Tanglefoot Curve. The train was just up on the tracks above it a few minutes prior.

Date: 10/09/20 11:43

7. Heading back west from Osier now, the train works a little upgrade towards Cumbres Pass.
8. While stopped for water at Cumbres Pass, the fireman checks on the locomotive before making the decent down the 4% grade to Chama.
9. Coming downgrade at Coxo with brilliant foliage in the background.

Date: 10/09/20 11:45

10. Back in New Mexico, the train negotiates an S-curve.
11. Coming over the Lobato trestle.
12. Coming into Chama yard. The scene here is timeless with the water, coaling, and sanding tower.

Date: 10/09/20 11:49

13. On our way back to Alamosa, we stopped by Antonito to see their train from Osier come back into the station. While waiting, we found this little guy hanging out. I see this engine is very popular on this site.
14. The train from Osier finally arrives back in Antonito after turning on the balloon track that leads up to the station.
15. K-36 class #484, like it's two sisters in Chama, was built in 1925 by Baldwin of Philadelphia, PA.

Truly an awesome experience. I would make this a yearly trip for my birthday every year! Not a bad way to celebrate 30 years of somehow still being alive.
Thanks,
- Adam C.

Date: 10/09/20 13:16
Author: UP951West

Thank you for the high quality slide show  of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR . I wanted to go out there myself this autumn . At least I can travel there through your images . 

Date: 10/09/20 14:33
Author: YardLimit

Great stuff!  I believe I met you guys at Cumbres Pass.  Glad you had a nice trip!

Date: 10/10/20 10:52
Author: coach

Great photos!  I'd love to go there ASAP.

Wish some sort of predator would wipe out the Western bark beetle before it destroys more trees in the background!!

Date: 10/11/20 06:49
Author: RSD5

I have made the trip to the C&TS twice.  I never knew what the attraction was until the first time I rode out of Chama.  I paid the extra price to ride in the parlor car but literally spent almost the entire trip riding in the gondola.  I had reached ten years as a cancer survior at that point and it brought tears to my eyes.  The sights/sounds/smells were wonderful.

Dave

Date: 10/11/20 12:38
Author: MP4093

Nice photos Adam, I miss being there this year.

Date: 10/12/20 14:40
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds