Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Steam & Excursion > Other locations like Steamtown VT in the 1960's

Date: 10/19/20 10:34
Other locations like Steamtown VT in the 1960's
Author: eminence_grise

Some time ago I posted images of Steamtown VT. taken in the 1960's. At the time I took them, I was told of other collections of steam locomotives rapidly put together during the end of steam. Notably, there was a large collection on private property with no public access somewhere in the eastern US. I remember seeing "through the fence" pictures of this location. When inquiries were made, the owner said he had plans to open the collection to the public in the future, but that never happened. Instead the collection deteriorated beyond repair, the owner passed away and finally all the equipment was scrapped.

Legend or truth?

Date: 10/19/20 11:00
Re: Other locations like Steamtown VT in the 1960's
Author: wcamp1472

Try finding info on the loco collection in Louisiana owned by “Paulson Spence.... “

Try a google search...
Had several NKP 4-6-4s, and a lot of “tea kettles”... he died , and family sold off the locos for scrap..
In later 1950s early 1960s..

W.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/19/20 12:12
Author: wabash2800

But Wes, I think at least a few of the locos were sold from his collection before he died unexpectedly, including NKP No. 170 and a 4-4-0 that is now operating on a tourist railroad in the East?

But I stand to be corrected, perhaps the 170 was not one of the NKP locos he owned, but I seem to recall there were some pieces sold from the collection before he died.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try finding info on the loco collection in
> Louisiana owned by “Paulson Spence.... “
>
> Try a google search...
> Had several NKP 4-6-4s, and a lot of “tea
> kettles”... he died , and family sold off the
> locos for scrap..
> In later 1950s early 1960s..
>
> W.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/20 12:35 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/19/20 12:48
Author: gregscholl

Google, Paulson Spence Locomotive Collection
and you can get more info.  The part I found did not list his whole collection, but did mention the 4 survivors, 3 of which were 4-4-0's.  One went to Stone Mountain, and one to Wilmington and Western(Probably the eastern one you were thinking of), and one other.  The bigger and more famous one was 4-6-2 425, which is better known today as Reading and Blue Mountain 425.
I believe he did own a Nickel Plate Hudson(170 class), but it and the other bigger engines were scrapped.  There were some gems in there besides the NKP hudson.

Greg

Date: 10/19/20 13:12
Author: steamfan759

Paulson Spence had a railroad called the Louisiana Eastern and he used some of his locomotives on that railroad.  He also had number plates made up for some of his locomotives.  It is my understanding that all of the locomotives he purchased were in excellent condition.  As the story goes,  he had set up a trust for the locomotive collection but he did not sign every page of his will.  The family contested the will and then they had the bulk of the collection scrapped including the NKP Hudsons.  The Wilmington & Western 4-4-0 and the R&N 4-6-2 were part if the Spence collection that were sold and not scrapped.

Ron

Date: 10/19/20 14:43
Author: PlyWoody

One of those rare collection still exist but for only two engines, one a Heisler that ran at Sacemento Railroad show and the other is the bones that are left of another Heisler sitting on a flat car.  There are many very agent wooden car but most had good roofs and were fairly secure.  The collection is directly on US 5 at East Barnet, VT just south of St Johnsbury, and right near a exit of the Interstate. Last time I was there years ago a sign was posted permitting photograph but leave no trash.  They didn't need to be bothered by fans.  Many rare old wheel sets under those cars, even Fox trucks.  The operable Heisler was locked up in a new engine house, garage with uncompleted track in the yard area.  He had about a mile of loop but everything was getting heavily grown over and track not open.
The owner died few years after the locomotive returned from California and son or family has not been active.  It used to have a support group of volunteer which did run trains for a while I believe.  I believe drive by photos are available on some fan sites. I found the name as Doctor Kendall..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/20 04:06 by PlyWoody.

Date: 10/20/20 04:33
Author: steam1246

All sorts of information available on the Internet about Marvin Kendall's private Passumpsic Railroad--including a complete roster of equipment years ago on RYPN.  I personally worked for Dr. Kendall building track in the late 1980's and visited there numerous times in the 1990's after they got the Heisler up and running.  Marvin's son Jim was the main cog behind building and operating  the railroad--with his father supplying the cash!  Jim got married twenty or so years ago and moved to Massachusetts, and that pretty much stalled regular progress on the railroad.  They did run the Heisler for a few years in the early 2000's around Christmas time as a fund raiser for one of Jim's wife's favorite charities, but those runs are the last times I'm aware of the Heisler operating.  I was passing by the railroad on Route U. S. 5 during the Summer of 2019; the railroad property was very weed grown and looked very "seedy"--like not much has been happening there in recent years.  Latest word at our local NRHS chapter is that Jim is now divorced and has moved back to Vermont--and may(?) have a renewed interest in the railroad.  The NRHS chapter has an email address for Jim, though I'm not sure it is current.  Anyone interested in the railroad should Google Passumpsic Railroad!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         In the mid-1960's, shortly before F. Nelson Blount's death in September, 1967, I had a opportunity to visit a number of tourist railroads in Pennsylvania--with my good friend Dan Brosey of Reading as my host. Dan was a volunteer at the Valley Forge Scenic Railroad--operated by Malcolm Ottinger and running ex-Gulf, Mobile and Northern 4-6-2 #425.   I wasn't aware of #425's history at the time, but did get to photograph #425 in action as well as getting a cab ride--and, to boot, was invited over to Ottinger's "home" to view his personal collection of narrow gauge steam locomotives and other steam era equipment. Upon returning to Vermont, Blount asked me about what locomotives I saw on my vacation--and when I mentioned #425, he said "I know that locomotive well".  He proceeded to tell me the sad story of how he had negotiated with the Paulsen Spence estate to acquire the entire Louisiana Eastern collection, but had to abandon the acquisition because the connecting railroad wanted $5,000 each to prepare the locomotives for shipment--that, plus the cost of shipping, was simply far more than Blount could afford!  Blount's Steamtown Superintendant Bob Adams reitierated that story to me a number of times over the years, and I've recently been told there is written evidence in the Steamtown NHS archives to support trying to acquire a portion of Spence's collection--with the connecting railroad being the obstacle.  Had Blount been successful in acquiring the Spence collection, Steamtown's locomotive fleet (at the time) would have virtually doubled in size-- and it would not have been a lot of "little teakettles"!  Google Louisiana Eastern Railroad for a complete list of Spence's collection; he owned  total of 37 locomotives over the years!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Frederick G. Bailey       

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/20 04:36 by steam1246.

Date: 10/20/20 05:05
Author: PlyWoody

Thank  Steam 1246,
That sure is wonderful information and update to my old data.  Interesting about the plans of buying the whole collection and why it did not happen.  Maybe Jim Kendal can get some animals with neck collars location device and watch them clean off the brush.and help get the railroad open again,  There are sure some interesting equipment there but rebuilding a snow plow would be a major carpentry project.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0701 seconds