Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Steam & Excursion > Need help to id this loco and train? Denver Colorado.

Date: 10/23/20 09:31
Need help to id this loco and train? Denver Colorado.
Author: slacks

Our parents to Denver in the early 1960s and we rode this steamtrain in the foothills near the moutains. It was called Magic Moutain and had this 2-8-0 ? I was only 4 yrs old but we rode it for a couple yrs and then it was gone! Anyone have any details? It was a fond memory but never found out what happened! 

Date: 10/23/20 09:46
Re: Need help to id this loco and train? Denver Colorado.
Author: up833

Goggle Magic Mountain CO. Lots of info. Started in 1959 near Golden, later part of the Heritage Village. Didnt open in 2017 then 2018 was its last year.. Nothing about the train jumped out.
RB

Date: 10/23/20 10:32
Author: Earlk

Locomotive is former Rio Grande Southern #42, now displayed at the Durango & Silverton NG RR Museum in Durango, CO.

Date: 10/23/20 19:17
Author: PlyWoody

Long while ago I believe I discovered that this RGS #42 is one engine before or after in the Baldwin Classification series than the Hancock & Calumet #5 which became the Rio Grande & Pagosa Springs RR #32.  If it could be rebuilt to operate, it could double for #32 or #42.  And the same is similar with the Uintah Ry #10 that is in Nevada hopefully next to being rebuilt.  It is identical to Silverton Northern.  Can you just imagine a RG&PS #32 double heading with Silverton Northern #- on the Silverton Branch?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0306 seconds